real time web analytics
Report - - Cala Egos coastal defence bunker - Mallorca - Oct 13 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cala Egos coastal defence bunker - Mallorca - Oct 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Coastal defence bunker - Cala Egos, Mallorca

Whilst lazing about on the beach sipping san Miguel and watching binkini clad lovelies
frollocking in the clear blue waves, my attention was suddenly drawn to a small rock
built structure on the coastline...turns out it was a pillbox :thumb

DSC_0158_zpsb222d53c.jpg

History bit

This is one of many shelters were built in the Forties on behest of General Franco who
was somewhat paranoid about an imminent invasion by the allied troops. Although Spain had
officially not taken any sides in the military conflict of World War 2, España was clearly on
Hitler’s and Mussolini’s side. The two Fascist leaders had come to Franco’s help during the
Spanish Civil War and there had always been a latent alliance between the three nations
all led by totalitarian autocrats even if no joint military action was carried out between 1938
and 1945.
As Hitler’s grasp in the occupied territories diminished, Franco feared for some military
retribution by France, Britain, USA and the USSR. For some reason he was convinced that
an invasion was imminent and he expected it here, in the Balearic Isles. He assembled a
relatively large fleet of submarines, based in the North of the island, in Port de Pollença,
and he reinforced some of Mallorca’s defense installations, such as Cap Enderrocat, Cabo
Blanco, Sa Fortalesa, Muleta and Aucanada. I think there were about twenty coastal
defense fortifications here in Mallorca, all equipped with heavy cannons and other such
artillery array. Some of these are still intact even though mostly abandoned; some such
installations have now been re-constituted for coastal surveillance by radar.

Explored with my 5 year old, without tripod or torch, so apologies for the lack of quality...

photos

DSC_0202_zpse0c23fc3.jpg

not much to look at on the outside, and easily missed (I guess that was the idea)

DSC_0167-001_zpsc6c5e507.jpg

Hmm..access could be tricky on this one :rolleyes:

DSC_0171_zps6ad18086.jpg

pitch black inside, so a high iso setting is the way to go,
and maybe the odd flash shot for good measure

DSC_0215_zpsd875c50e.jpg

this side room would have been used for eating and sleeping in, away from the gun emplacement

DSC_0195_zpsa4125a58.jpg

The boy was keen to explore this one..even in the dark

DSC_0207_zps82684db5.jpg

the gun emplacement, although there doesn't appear to any remains of gun mounts or fixings

DSC_0212_zps56ad1d13.jpg

DSC_0209_zps0444ac23.jpg

I can think of worse views whilst pondering an imminent invasion

DSC_0218_zps2f570cc4.jpg

This turret faces out towards sea and would have offered the first view of any enemy ships

DSC_0217_zpsc7f689df.jpg

whilst this one points across the bay towards Cala d'or

It was nice to combine holidays with a bit of exploration, much to the disgust of the missus :D

Thanks for looking :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details