Web
Analytics
Report - - Calwich Abbey, Ellastone, June 2019 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Calwich Abbey, Ellastone, June 2019

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history (snippets taken from Wikipedia);
Calwich Abbey, previously Calwich Priory, was a medieval Augustinian priory and two successive country houses built on a site near Ellastone, Staffordshire. It was founded in 1130 as a satellite of Kenilworth Priory and was dedicated to St Margaret. In 1349 it became independent from Kenilworth with the right to elect its own prior. By 1543 the property had been acquired by the Fleetwood family, who converted the priory buildings into a dwelling house.

The country house; Later, the house was demolished and a new house was built nearer the stream which he turned into a lake.

The estate was then acquired by the Duncombe family in the 1840s, who rebuilt the house in 1849–50 on higher ground in a Jacobean style by architect William Burn. It was constructed of ashlar with slate roofs in two storeys to an irregular floor plan.

Much of the house was demolished in 1927. The remaining building and stables, although Grade II listed, is in a derelict state. A fishing temple, built next to the river, survives.

In May 2015 Calwich Abbey Estate was offered for sale and in June 2015 it was announced that it had been bought by Garrick Sayers for £2 million.

The explore;
There is a few surrounding houses and as it is in an isolated location keeping a low profile is key. The entry location is in a field that had a caravan running a few feet away, which I’m not sure if they are the owners or just rent the land. The building is in ruins but it looks like somebody is trying to renovate it. Once in the building is a strange layout, one side is upper ground then you go through a long tunnel underground to reach the other ground level side and intbtween there is random upstairs bits. Quite a small explore but it is a very interesting place and would make for some great photos given the right lighting and kit. This is only a small casual report as I was only armed with an iPhone.

CA678579-2115-4D5A-8DD8-812087B5F52E.jpeg

E95A81B0-413F-47D4-BB6C-A00F16C66382.jpeg

0E17B306-2226-48AC-BF05-D4593E76ED10.jpeg

ADA7C741-3F92-4C6A-B73E-DC590D9B5EE8.jpeg

59F15AFE-3C6B-46B0-8006-3A534D9CCDB5.jpeg

76E15DCE-8F5D-4602-89F3-3E60C24BFF77.jpeg

802C01F9-8061-4EE4-942C-2C376F3FC71A.jpeg

8FE19F2C-D480-4687-8EFE-5A2A8775631E.jpeg

032E9ED3-64E4-4C3C-AECA-80DD8EAEBBAF.jpeg

Attachments

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One last photo I forgot to attach, taken from somebody’s Instagram as I could not get a photo of the building at night.

EAFF7C62-8C32-4559-B64A-DE4CBAF0B39C.jpeg

tigger

mog
Regular User
About ten years ago they cleared the area around the side (ie, the area in the photo you nicked) as well as the courtyard. Building supplies were delivered outside the more modern brick range and a chap from Jadean Construction (fairly sure that was the name...I'd have to dig out my photos) seen to be working occasionally. From your images it looks like he did some tidying inside and then nothing more. The estate owns a couple of houses a mile or so further up the valley that were restored to a high standard a couple of years earlier so I'd expected this to have been finished. Hadn't been up the road for a long while as I normally walk up the river.

Joshrowlands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About ten years ago they cleared the area around the side (ie, the area in the photo you nicked) as well as the courtyard. Building supplies were delivered outside the more modern brick range and a chap from Jadean Construction (fairly sure that was the name...I'd have to dig out my photos) seen to be working occasionally. From your images it looks like he did some tidying inside and then nothing more. The estate owns a couple of houses a mile or so further up the valley that were restored to a high standard a couple of years earlier so I'd expected this to have been finished. Hadn't been up the road for a long while as I normally walk up the river.
Since I first went this time last year electricity has been wired up and a room has been filled full of belongings. It would make such a beautiful house or a nice set of swanky apartments.

tigger

mog
Regular User
The various planning permissions in the past ten years have only covered the newer brick area (former dairy). These are for conversion to a residential unit, single storey extention storey as well as erection of a caravan for temporary living. Last dated change to the live application was 2015 (coincidentally when the Calwich Abbey Estate was sold).
No applications concerning any of the Grade II structures (House, stable block & courtyard).
In that area you'd make a stupid amount of money turning it into swanky flats but an accidental fire making the structure unsafe would make an even more valuable building plot as you'd add in more of the sloping gardens.

Far cooler to stabilise it and then have it as a folly ruin....that doesn't put fuel in the lambo though does it :(