real time web analytics
Report - - Cambridge House / The "In and Out Club", Piccadilly, London - June 2017 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cambridge House / The "In and Out Club", Piccadilly, London - June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Cambridge House is a Grade I listed mansion on Piccadilly, central London. Constructed between 1756 to 1761 in a late Palladian style, the house was built for Charles Wyndham, 2nd Earl of Egremont and was originally known as Egremont House. As is usual in a London mansion of the period the first floor is the principal floor, containing a number of reception rooms.

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-13.jpg

The front garden (currently in use as an al fresco BBQ restaurant)​

From the 1820s the house was occupied by George Cholmondeley, 1st Marquess of Cholmondeley and during this time was known as Cholmondeley House. The Duke of Cambridge, Prince Adolphus, acquired the house in 1829 and resided there until 1850. He renamed the house to Cambridge House; a name that has persisted due to his royal status.

Following the Duke’s death in 1850, the house was purchased by Lord Palmerston who later became the Prime Minister. The house was his London residence until his death, and was host to many splendid social and political gatherings.

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-3.jpg

Grand main staircase leading to the reception rooms above​

Cambridge House was purchased in 1865 by the Naval and Military Club, which had outgrown its previous premises. The club came to be known as the “In and Out”, from the prominent signs on the entrance and exit gates.

The Naval and Military Club sold the premises to entrepreneur Simon Halabi for £50 million in 1996 and the building became vacant in 1999 when the club moved to new premises. The building has since fallen into a state of disrepair. The house was once again sold in 2013 following the bankruptcy of the Halabi companies. Current owners David and Simon Reuben obtained permission to convert the premises back into a single home, likely to become the UK’s most expensive home, estimated to be valued in the region of £250 million after renovation.

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-4-6.jpg

Looking up the staircase

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-5.jpg

Dome skylight above staircase

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-2-10.jpg

Staircase and octagon room

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-12.jpg

Grand room with marble columns

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-8.jpg

First floor reception hall with Venetian window

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-7.jpg

One of the two almost identical main reception rooms

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-9.jpg

The other reception room - spot the difference!

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-11.jpg

Another room upstairs

cambridge-house-in-and-out-club-london-14.jpg

The “IN” and “OUT” signs from which the building takes it’s nickname

View attachment 736595
Front of the building with the in and out signs​

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Used to see this place all the time in a previous life, never knew any of it's history though. Thanks for the research !

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one, pretty sure me and Oli jumped the wall here to check it ages back but to no avail, nice inside that.

The_Raw

Staff member
I wonder if they have done anything with this place yet. Anyone know?
I checked it a few months back and it was still empty. I think the front yard is used by some street food and coffee traders