Report - - Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot - April 2014


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Cambridge Military Hospital, built by Messrs Martin Wells and Co. of Aldershot. It was named after Prince George, Duke of Cambridge and opened on 18 July 1879. In the First World War, the Cambridge Hospital was the first base hospital to receive casualties directly from the Western Front.The Cambridge Hospital was also the first place where plastic surgery was performed in the British Empire. Captain Gillies (later Sir Harold Gillies), met Hippolyte Morestin, while on leave in Paris in 1915. Morestin was reconstructing faces in the Val-de-Grace Hospital in Paris. Gillies fell in love with the work, and at the end of 1915 was sent back from France to start a Plastic Unit in the Cambridge Hospital.

After the Second World War, with the decline in importance of Britain's military commitments, civilians were admitted to the hospital. It pioneered the supply of portable operating theatres and supplies for frontline duties. The hospital also contained the Army Chest Unit. It was closed on 2 February 1996 due to the high cost of running the old building as well as the discovery of asbestos in the walls.

Visited with jacquesj earlier in the month, been wanting to visit here for ages so was good to finally get some of it done. Spotted two secca guys on patrol while we were there, but got in and out without any prolems which was a bonus.









The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Love the paint on those walls! Nice place, good report!


Similar threads