real time web analytics
Report - - Cambridge Military Hospital – Aldershot – Sept 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cambridge Military Hospital – Aldershot – Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The history

This has been done on here many times so I’ll be brief

The Cambridge Military Hospital was built by Messrs Martin Wells and Co. of Aldershot.

It was named after Prince George, Duke of Cambridge and opened on 18 July 1879.

In the First World War the Hospital was the first base hospital to receive casualties directly from the Western Front. Cambridge Hospital was also the first place where plastic surgery was performed in the British Empire.

After the Second World War, with the decline in importance of Britain's military commitments, civilians were admitted to the hospital. It pioneered the supply of portable operating theatres and supplies for front line duties. The hospital also contained the Army Chest Unit.

It was closed on 2 February 1996 due to the high cost of running the old building as well as the discovery of asbestos in the walls.

The Explore

Having failed here a few years back and met a full on nasty security guy I never ventured back.

But while I was in this neck of the woods recently I decided to go have a look, I went with a non-member and actually had a bit of success

We managed to get into the main building and had a good three hours in there before exciting and meeting an ever so polite security man, who asked us to please leave as he knew we were in there and we might get in trouble. Shockingly the security guys have never seen inside, what a waste!!!

I must admit our main aim was to get up the clock tower, but the rest of the inside was pretty cool too. I loved the old signage and notes painted on the walls. I noticed if you looked closed you could see older signs painted underneath. I can only imagine that in its heyday CMH was stunning inside and out.

We eventually made our way to the clock tower and snapped a few pics and checked out the awesome mechanism to run all four clock faces

Hope you like the pics

DSC_6112_zpsqktq7p9j.jpg

DSC_6113_zpsy7x2unk3.jpg

DSC_6118_zpsvlfdypns.jpg

DSC_6123_zpswueiqc07.jpg

DSC_6139_zpsefjiwqke.jpg

DSC_6141_zpsnus604mv.jpg

DSC_6144_zpsfohedsxi.jpg

DSC_6152_zpsb3odhbnz.jpg

DSC_6164_zpsowpsnylx.jpg

DSC_6176_zpssuo6yo9v.jpg

DSC_6210_zpsndrsys8h.jpg

DSC_6232_zpsp6fjyije.jpg

DSC_6235_zpsiavsl5bu.jpg

DSC_6249_zpscbgyzny8.jpg

DSC_6257_zpstmfjf4lt.jpg

DSC_6268_zpsopj0wlvx.jpg

DSC_6274_zpsyg9dgx84.jpg

DSC_6282_zpsqcaairf7.jpg

DSC_6283_zpsjttzz6ck.jpg

DSC_6296_zpsgqllyq3l.jpg

DSC_6306_zpsalhxgxah.jpg

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Whatever happened to the morgue here, never seems to pop up on reports these days is it still there ?

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
interesting. i thought this one has well finished. I too would like to know if that fab mortuary is still there as thats the one bit i couldn't get into

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Those signs are great, I'm sure the paint was less peeley when I was there in 2006 so I guess they had not revealed themselves!

Steadyed

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great job!
I did my apprenticeship in Aldershot between 1970 and 1974 and part of the job was to visit the hospital to test and calibrate all the scales.
I also visited the casualty department on a number of occasions after motorbike accidents and various cuts and scrapes.
It is a shame to see it so run down now.