real time web analytics
Report - - Camden rat hole, November 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Eroze

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first post on the site, despite having used it for many years to check out buildings, so apologies if its a bit unpolished or if the photos arent the best quality.

Having recently moved to London, and found some like-minded friends, I was eager to find some places nearby to explore. Having grown up in Birmingham I quickly noticed the contrast in the amount of abandoned buildings near the center due to the high land value, however the Camden rat hole seemed our best bet.

After reading some reports on this site, and scouring google maps for hours. I finally found a few places that seemed to match up with photos, old maps of the tunnels, documentation of demolition, and tube lines. a few nights later I scouted the area and was certain that it was the way in.

On the night of my first run I met with my friend at around 11pm in Camden (potentially a bit early) before walking along the canals and a few streets to the entrance. Having not seen any further into the tunnels we we quite apprehensive of what to expect and so were very shocked when motion sensored lights flashed on with a loud crack when we entered. Despite this we delved deeper into the tunnels.

We quickly realized that we were underneath some peoples living rooms, being able to hear tvs above us and so made an effort to keep quiet and moved on.

A large part of the tunnels at the top level are old overflow flood tunnels: large brick echoey chambers filled up with mud. Some advice to future explorers: Dont wear trainers. I couldn't get the smell of mud and petrol out of them for weeks.

IMG-20191104-WA0010.jpg

Main chamber

The sound of water dripping and echoing throughout the structure is especially eerie, to the extent that at one point we were convinced there was someone else in the tunnels. At one point my friend tried to cross a muddy section of water, having gone half way and realized he was on the wrong side, but to his dismay (and my delight) the mud was a lot less forgiving and a lot deeper that he had expected. the image of his futile attempt to hold onto a beam while teetering on the slowly sinking bucket I had placed for him made me almost collapse with laughter and I had to eat my scarf to avoid making a racket.

We left that night caked in mud and donning a busted top hat that I had found in a corner and must have looked like a right twat to anyone who saw us.

On our first visit the trapdoor leading down to the abandoned tube tunnel was locked with a large padlock and so planned to return a few days later with lockpicks, not wanted to cause and permanent damage. This turned to weeks but then one night after getting drunk with some old friends I suggested a quick guided tour (not recommended to anyone at all!) and to our suprise we found the trapdoor unlocked. The next week we visited again with better equipment and torches and descended the ladder into the massive tunnel. Is stretches about a kilometer end to end where it becomes overground, blocked off my spiked fences. we found some old magazines, general trash as well as a lot of candles which we later linked to a photographers work (and not satanic rituals). For those curious I think it used to be an old goods tunnel running from euston to primrose hill. There is an existing line above it which causes the whole tunnel to shake, a terrifying sound to hear when walking along rails if you dont expect it.

Ultimately it was a great run and I look forward to many more ahead for me in London.

DSC_0352.jpg
DSC_0369.jpg

Tunnel towards the overflow flood chambers Some old boots

IMG-20191217-WA0027.jpg

Chamber parallel to the main flood one, bring a rope if you aim to head down.

IMG-20191217-WA0022.jpg

Shaft down the the abandoned tube tunnel

IMG-20191217-WA0013.jpg

The world highest quality image of the tunnel (it was very dark despite our torches, next time ill bring my camera)

Last edited:

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Pretty sure the big chambers were coal storage.....they are normally full of water but pumped out occasionally for inspections.

I wonder if they are keeping it pumped out all the time now ?

nice to see it again :thumb

The_Raw

Staff member
After reading some reports on this site, and scouring google maps for hours. I finally found a few places that seemed to match up with photos, old maps of the tunnels, documentation of demolition, and tube lines. a few nights later I scouted the area and was certain that it was the way in.
Good to see someone using their brain for once. That chamber looks pretty nice without several feet of murky water in it :)

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Ahh so the room with beams is coal storage and the one without was the winding room

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Pretty cool shot of that chamber. Trainers!! ekkk I dont wear trainers on a topside let alone tunnels lol.
I see this is your 2nd post not 1st but both are good. And as said above, someone using that little known tool google & brain, kudos.

When you mentioned people above, all I could think of was I wonder if any of those homes know they are on top of a big drop!

Amendment: Good 1st report as I see your second report was posted same day and probably after this one, so great start on 28dl . Welcome

Last edited: