real time web analytics
Report - - Camelot Theme Park - Charnock Richard - November 2020 (Probably last report, full demolition has begun) | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camelot Theme Park - Charnock Richard - November 2020 (Probably last report, full demolition has begun)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
History - Opened in 1983 by Park Hall Leisure, it enticed both adults and children with the legend of King Arthur, his knights of the Round Table, and the wizard Merlin. And by the late 80s, the site's golden age had arrived after the opening of rides including Dragon Heights, Kingdom in the Clouds, Dragon Flyover, Falcon's Flight, and Knightmare. By then, the Chorley park had been bought out by Granada, who purchased holding company Park Hall Leisure. Granada sold up to Prime Resorts Limited, who axed rides including Excalibur and Tower or Terror while bringing in Excalibur 2, Whirlwind, and the new Knightmare.
By 2000, visitors dropped to 400,000 a year and then 380,000 by 2004. And by 2009, numbers were below 300,000 with the park entering receivership and temporary closing. The Camelot site was bought by housing developer Story Homes in 2009. At the time, it agreed to continue leasing the land to then park operator Knights Leisure despite ongoing and increasing concerns over the financial performance of the site. With less visitors going through its doors after 2009, wet weather and huge summer events including the 2012 London Olympics ended up being the final nails in the coffin for the once much-loved Lancashire attraction.

Explore - This place is local to us and we've explored it before but decided to revisit and check out what state it's in now. Access was relatively easy as long as you know where it is and don't mind getting muddy. Once inside we were wary that there is usually security at both ends of the park so it's a bit of a game of cat and mouse. What we didn't expect is there is also now a demolition crew at the entrance and work has begun. After making it round the whole park we exited and decided to walk up to the front gate and see what was going on. We chatted to a demolition worker who said the park will be gone within a week. I asked if i could take a photo of the front and was told be quick because security might not like it. Security spotted us and started to approach, not realising we'd just spent the past hour wondering around inside. I'm glad we got one last explore as we've always liked this place and have many memories of the park when it was open.

Thanks for looking.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
2020 has been a pretty shitty year by all accounts but it's managed to redeem itself somewhat at the end with the news that Cameltoe is finally being levelled.

All joking aside, that's a decent set of photos from the place, especially if they are indeed the last ones.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Despite the hatred for this place, thats a decent report. Kinda sad I never made it here
Thanks. Only reason we're fascinated by it is because we spent so much time there as kids/teenagers while it was still open.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
2020 has been a pretty shitty year by all accounts but it's managed to redeem itself somewhat at the end with the news that Cameltoe is finally being levelled.

All joking aside, that's a decent set of photos from the place, especially if they are indeed the last ones.
Thanks. Will be funny if someone rushes another report in and proves us wrong!

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Decent report that. I can say, however, that I will not miss the name 'Camelot' appearing weekly on some kind of social channel !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Was actually going to have a look at it at the weekend too!
There could still be something to see at the weekend. No idea how long it will take them to bring it down. The guy I spoke to said a week but not sure how realistic that is tbh. They will probably have to start on the big buildings at the gate first. The rest of it is basically single story wooden sheds.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Decent report that. I can say, however, that I will not miss the name 'Camelot' appearing weekly on some kind of social channel !
Thanks, I wasnt going to do a report as we've been here loads of times. Just went for a wonder round but when we spoke the contractors and they said it was coming down thought i would post it as it's the last time we'd be visiting the place.

m4dd13z666

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been today, didn't see this report untill at the gates checking 28dl to see if there was security before entering. . don't seem as tho demolition has started as the castle entrance part was still standing, however we did avoid that area as security was up there at the time. Very busy place, we passed people running out as they had been seen and another couple being told to leave as we left.. However we wasn't seen and got around most just avoiding main entrance.. Great explore, first time we had been, so for anyone wanting to go soon it's still standing currently.

Who has read this thread (Total: 672) View details