real time web analytics
Report - - Camelot Theme Park, Chorley, June 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camelot Theme Park, Chorley, June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GirlGeekUpNorth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So, a bit of a re-post going on here. Basically, I've been a member since 2014, and while I've done a few sites, I've only ever submitted two of them here. I want to change that, and submit reports for some of my other adventures. Problem is, my old forum account is under a name which is no longer mine, so I asked if I could change it, and got no response. Rather than mess around I've created a new account and I'm going to start by reposting my two old reports so I have everything under one account :)

History of Camelot Theme Park

The Camelot Theme Park is located in Chorley, Lancashire, it opened in 1983, and closed after the 2012 season. The theme park was based on the legend of Camelot, Arthur, and the Knights of the Round Table, with locations and attractions around the park being named in keeping with the overall theme. Although the park was aimed at families, it did have some thrill rides, including the main roller coaster Knightmare which is the last remaining ride left at the park. In addition to rides the park also put on jousting, birds of prey and magic shows.

Over time the park started to lose its attraction, with attendance falling from 500,000 in 1995 to 336,204 in 2005. It also suffered controversy with accidents being well publicised. In October 2001 a park employee was struck by the Gauntlet roller coaster and killed, with the park being fined £40,000 for having no written safety procedures for its staff, and in August 2011 a 12-year-old boy fell from the Excalibur 2 ride, although he survived.

We managed to find a way into the park without too much trouble and made our way down first to the Jousting Arena. It was interesting to see what was left of the stables, even though by being in the park itself we were where we shouldn't have been, getting to explore the staff areas which we would not have had access to while the park was open made the trip even more exciting. I must admit though, that even though I am not easily scared, I really shouldn't have watched the Owlman video before exploring the staff huts, as I seemed to manage to scare myself more than any actual threats that I could have come across. In hindsight, I think this was a bit of a stupid move on my part, but with me, that's not really anything new.....

The park itself is not what I would consider derelict, but it shows obvious signs of damage from people who have gained access yet have no desire to preserve the site. Strewn with litter and signs of looting and vandalism, no glass window has been left un-smashed, and no area remains as it was.

As we headed back down to explore the other side of the park we encountered 6 chavs, one with a pickaxe over his shoulder, heading towards us. Needless to say, as I first spotted them I almost peed myself thinking we had been caught, but they just laughed and passed us by. It pains me to think of why they were here, while we creep around trying not to make a sound or cause a disturbance, these chavs, in contrast, walked around brazenly with no care for anyone but themselves.

We found a way into the old Dungeons of Doom, and it's surprising how creepy this place was, even though almost everything had gone, and it was daylight outside, I still held my breath as I turned each corner, wondering what I might see. I did have one last momentary panic when I wasn't sure I would remember how we got in, but we found the exit with no problem in the end.

You can see the full report and more pictures on my blog.

On a side note, we're thinking of heading back with a more unusual purpose. I got married in April, and we're really disappointed with the photos from the 'professional' photographer. If I have to get all dressed up again for a replacement set of photos, I want to do something really different. You reckon I could scale Knightmare in a full gown? Would make for some unique pics!

IMG_20140624_221924.jpg

IMG_20140624_221803.jpg

IMG-20140624-WA0029.jpg

IMG_20140624_221621.jpg

IMG_20140624_221556.jpg