real time web analytics
Report - - Camelot Theme Park, Chorley, March 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camelot Theme Park, Chorley, March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lucky Crooky

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, This is my first report on here, probably classed as a 'noob'...Hope you find some interest in it. :)

SO-CAMELOT....... another report. Heard that there wasn't much left now and it's only matter of time until its gone forever to make way for a new housing village so wanted to check it out one last time.

Most people will know the history of this place and I'm pretty sure there's no point giving it here, but I'll do just incase.------The park opened in 1983 and was operating seasonally until late 2012. The park was based on the story of 'Camelot, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table'. The local area was once covered by the largest lake in England Martin Mere, which was first drained in 1692 by Thomas Fleetwood of Bank Hall in Bretherton. (The story is that Sir Lancelot's parents King Ban of Benwick and his queen Elaine escaped to Lancashire from their enemies in France. Elaine went to help King Ban who had fallen and put Lancelot down on the shore of the lake, by where he was abducted by nymph Vivian who vanished into the waters of the lake with him. Vivian brought up Lancelot and when he went to King Arthur's court he was knighted as 'Sir Lancelot of the Lake'.) Martin Mere has been locally known as the 'Lost Lake of Sir Lancelot' following the myth.
In 1986 it was taken over by The Granada Group and operated by them alongside its now defunct sister parks American Adventure and Granada Studios Tour. In June 1998 the park was subject to a management buyout in which the park went to Prime Resorts Ltd.

Camelot had seen a downturn in attendance in later years, in 1995, Camelot's attendance was 500,000 visitors throughout the season. In 2005 Camelot's attendance was only 336,204 visitors.

In a 2006 survey of healthy food available at leading tourist attractions in the UK, Camelot came joint bottom scoring only one point.

In February 2009, Prime Resorts announced that the park was in receivership and would not reopen for the 2009 season. The hotel was bought by Lavender Hotels in March 2009, and in April 2009, it was announced that a buyer had been found for the park and that it would reopen in May 2009.

The theme park was purchased by Story Group, a construction company based in Carlisle and leased to Knight's Leisure who run the park. The site's future remains uncertain as the new owner is planning to redevelop the site. Current indications are that this will be a housing development.

The closure of the park was announced by its operator, Knights Leisure, in November 2012, the managing director blaming poor summer weather and events such as London 2012 and the Queen's Jubilee for declining visitor numbers. Today, some rollercoasters were sold (for example Whirlwind bought by the German "Skyline Park"), other rest in the park.

This was a spur of the moment type mooch which was also late at night due to the last minute shout to go as we weren't up to much.

13116227225_0264eb62de_b.jpg

A lot of the photos are taken with a very long exposure to let in enough light.... we didn't fancy using torches much at all for lighting shots or owt as security were knocking about and we didn't fancy getting busted.

13116081575_c6aa63dc5d_b.jpg

Tried to get some decent shots, although with a site that's been done as much as this over the last couple of years there's not a great deal everyone hasn't seen.

13116321973_55be4b354c_b.jpg

King Arthur's Ghost town.....

13116246233_6b03e189cb_b.jpg

Part of the track removed on the well known 'Dragon Flyer' ride, so trucks can drive down the road underneath etc.

13116461664_a2b2e3c3fa_b.jpg

Could of done with a nice cold coca cola, was spittin' feathers.

13116448614_8793b5d3a5_b.jpg

I'll leave it there for now as I don't wanna risk my first report on here being pic heavy etc.

Peace, LC.

upright_ninja

Picture of Stealth
28DL Full Member
Good work. I remember going here as a kid... I'm originally from Accrington so this place wasn't too far away. Such a shame to see its now derelict but to be honest, it had had its day! Well done on the first report...!

upright_ninja

Picture of Stealth
28DL Full Member
Small world! I'm from Ossie but most people don't know where that is so I say Accrington... I'm in Essex now but miss it up north!

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Do I get -10 for bumping camalot post. What this is a new post. Mm didn't happen to find a torch did you Lol. Seriously now thx for post and your first report it's definitely a good starting place. Did you manage to climb knightmare that's not to bad and ghost train is ok also.

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do I get -10 for bumping camalot post. What this is a new post. Mm didn't happen to find a torch did you Lol. Seriously now thx for post and your first report it's definitely a good starting place. Did you manage to climb knightmare that's not to bad and ghost train is ok also.

It's only because I have seen so much Camelot in the last couple of days,
There's only so much you can look at lol :D

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Lol check out my louden castle post for something different. Lol nice way to plug a post slim. Lmao