real time web analytics
Report - - Camelot theme park , july 2015 (yes another one)! | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camelot theme park , july 2015 (yes another one)!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
The park opened in 1983 and was operating seasonally until late 2012. The park was based on the story of 'Camelot, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table'. The local area was once covered by the largest lake in England marten mere, which was first drained in 1692 by Thomas Fleetwood of Bank hall in Bretherton. (The story is that Sir lancelots parents King Ban of Benwick and his queen Elaine escaped to Lancashire from their enemies in France . Elaine went to help King Ban who had fallen and put Lancelot down on the shore of the lake, by where he was abducted by nymph Vivian who vanished into the waters of the lake with him. Vivian brought up Lancelot and when he went to King Arthur's court he was knighted as 'Sir Lancelot of the Lake'.) Martin Mere has been locally known as the 'Lost Lake of Sir Lancelot' following the myth.

In 1986 it was taken over by The Granada Group and operated by them alongside its now defunct sister parks American Adventure and Granada studios tour. In June 1998 the park was subject to a management buyout in which the park went to Prime Resorts Ltd.

Camelot had seen a downturn in attendance in later years, in 1995, Camelot's attendance was 500,000 visitors throughout the season. In 2005 Camelot's attendance was only 336,204 visitors.

In a 2006 survey of healthy food available at leading tourist attractions in the UK, Camelot came joint bottom scoring only one point.

In February 2009, Prime Resorts announced that the park was in receivership and would not reopen for the 2009 season. The hotel was bought by Lavender Hotels in March 2009, and in April 2009, it was announced that a buyer had been found for the park and that it would reopen in May 2009.

The theme park was purchased by Story Group, a construction company based in Carlisle and leased to Knight's Leisure who ran the park. The site's future remains uncertain as the new owner is planning to redevelop the site. Current indications are that this will be a housing development.

The closure of the park was announced by its operator, Knights Leisure, in November 2012, the managing director blaming poor summer weather and events such as London 2012 and the Queen's Jubilee for declining visitor numbers. Today, some rollercoasters were sold (for example Whirlwind bought by the German "Skyline Park"), others rust in the abandoned park.

An application to build 420 houses on the site by owners Story Group was unanimously rejected by Chorley Council in August 2014 as the development was not permissible within the Green belt.

As of 2015 the park is still standing, albeit crumbling and having been attacked several times by arsonists. Rides that still stand on the site include the Knightmare rollercoaster.

THE EXPLORE.
So Camelot the jewel in lancashires crown :confused:, I was never too bothered about exploring this site and I know many have but for me it was just a joke of an explore.
Then the news came this week that excavators are on site and there ripping the place down could I really let it disappear without ever seeing it again well the answer was no it wasn't for the epicness ;) that made me go or even the nostalgia trip having gone here as a kid no I just wanted the piks and to record it for myself.
Then I thought maybe I could do the old girl justice through photography and maybe redeem her a bit :rolleyes:
Well I hope I achieved that explored with @LancashireExplorations, @godgp78 and a none member
on with some piks.

DSC_1740.JPG
DSC_1742.JPG
DSC_1748.JPG
DSC_1752.JPG
DSC_1756.JPG
DSC_1761.JPG
DSC_1764.JPG
DSC_1771.JPG
DSC_1774.JPG
DSC_1776.JPG
DSC_1783.JPG
DSC_1789.JPG
DSC_1797.JPG
DSC_1802.JPG
DSC_1815.JPG
DSC_1839.JPG

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
CAMELOT !!!! :eek: Actually not bad, got some views I've not seen that are off the tour bus trail ! :D Goodo laddie !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
and were there excavators there ripping it down?
not ripping it down but getting ready for it all the buckets were in place and they have a compound behind the food court also they have started taking down the stall and shops so not long left for the place now

Dave Bennett

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and pics. Much appreciated!

I was last there a few years ago, driving a bus full of excited school children. It's a shame it had to close.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Great report dude,

I don't think that Food Court has ever been so clean. ;)

Any signs of a torch in the play area?

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details