Web
Analytics
Question - - Camera on a budget | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Camera on a budget

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all :)
Me and my best mate are currently planning to invest in a camera and possibly tripod to share. We are both not massively well off, but are saving up. Currently, my mate has his eye on this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19ce0f76a0

If that camera is a bit tacky, then what would you suggest? Considering that our camera budget is around £60 (although we would be willing to save up a bit more for a better one). We are not professionals, or regulars and don't have the cash for a big fancy one. Any help would be great.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Definitely trawl ebay if your budget is that tight. People have gotten some good bargains off there on older range cameras, Spungletrumpet for one, who up until recently was using a 99p digital camera, and IIRC spent £30 on its replacement.

Keep your eye on the "spares and repairs" section as a lot of the time the people selling them are idiots and just don't know how to charge or replace a battery. Just read the descriptions, and more importantly don't blame me if it doesn't actually work. :p:

Last edited:

spungletrumpet

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely trawl ebay if your budget is that tight. People have gotten some good bargains off there on older range cameras, Spungletrumpet for one, who up until recently was using a 99p digital camera, and IIRC spent £30 on its replacement.

Keep your eye on the "spares and repairs" section as a lot of the time the people selling them are idiots and just don't know how to charge or replace a battery. Just read the descriptions, and more importantly don't blame me if it doesn't actually work. :p:
Excellent advice in that second paragraph Adders. :thumb

Spungletrumpet has, indeed, used a 99p camera for the last 2 years or so.. It was a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I spent an extra tenner on a wide angle adapter for it. It was 99p because it had no battery, I simply used a remote controlled car battery strapped to my (ten quid) tripod.
I had a coolpix 4300 for a couple of years beforehand but French customs broke it so the 99p one replaced it.
They are a great camera, with a 60 second 'B' setting if you can bodge together a remote.
Almost all the pics I have posted on here were taken with it.

Styru

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Don't get too hung up on the need to spend lots of wonga.

This picture:

IM004632.jpg

Shows spungletrumpet using the aforementioned 99p camera (a camera he produced some cracking shots with)

It was shot on a 12 year old, 2.1MP compact that I found in a bin, and that is held together with an elastoplast, a bolt, and a bit of metal I literally found in the gutter

These are from the same 'bin-find-freebie' camera...

uj.jpg

IM004787.jpg

IM004832.jpg

IM004794.jpg

IM004793.jpg

IM004646.jpg

ot.jpg

Granted they don't quite match my DSLR - but for the price of some batteries and a plaster they are perfectly useable :p:

.​