real time web analytics
Question - - camera query | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - camera query

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
hi all, i need a camera, mine committed suicide, can anyone recommend a cheap but decent camera? i know nothing about them so any information on it would be grand.

cheers :thumb

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
You could get a canon or a Nixon or a Sony, dslr or bridge, slr or slt

It depends what you want and what your preferences are

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cheers dude, i literally want it to be good enough to have a clear picture, but nothing fancy with loads of complicated settings? any suggestions?

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
So, first 2 questions

1) how much can you spend?

2) what do you want to photograph (are you into underground, rooftops, day, night, etc?)

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i suppose i should have said, my bad :banghead

1. i don't really know what the asking price for cameras are at all, im guessing £150 would be enough ?

2. i will want to use it socially as well, but yeah underground, and at night mainly

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canon 20D may be able to be picked up for that much theyre quite good cameras i had one for years.

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canon 20D may be able to be picked up for that much theyre quite good cameras i had one for years.

Thanks dude
What kind of camera is that? probably going to sound ridiculous but do you think an iPhone would produce sufficient pictures to create a report to avoid the fetid pit?

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
do you think an iPhone would produce sufficient pictures to create a report to avoid the fetid pit?

The most expensive DSLR in the world can produce a report that is not even good enough for the fetid pit, and a camera phone, used well, can produce an acceptable report.

It is about so much more than buying kit - photographs are taken by people, not lumps of metal/plastic/glass - it's the thought and work that goes into taking pics that has the greatest influence. :thumb

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
At the end of the day, get any decent make camera, and make sure it has a long(ish) max exposure time - 15 seconds+ or better still a 'B' setting.

Don't get too hung up on the need to spend lots of wonga.

This picture:

IM004632.jpg

Shows spungletrumpet using a 99p, Ebay bought, camera (a camera he produced some cracking shots with)

It was shot on a 12 year old, 2.1MP compact that I found in a bin, and that is held together with an elastoplast, a bolt, and a bit of metal I literally found in the gutter

These are from the same 'bin-find-freebie' camera...

uj.jpg

IM004787.jpg

IM004832.jpg

IM004794.jpg

IM004793.jpg

IM004646.jpg

ot.jpg

Granted they don't match my DSLR - but for the price of some batteries and a plaster they are perfectly useable, and represent a camera that - whilst I'd hate to lose/break it - owes me nothing - so the day it does finally fall/drown/get lost/get stolen (actually, forget the last one - if you'd seen it, no-one would pinch it) or whatever - nothing lost :p:

.​

faulty_compasses

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing! Thanks a lot, I understand it's not about the kit it's about how it's used I was just looking for a starter :) I know nothing about cameras, point and press the button is about it, what is exposure time and the b setting you said?

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That said, i personally wouldn't use an iPhone to take your pics.

If anything you want a proper, but like Styru said, it doesnt have to be anything amazing, but when you stick it on a tripod and do long exposures the pics can be really good.

On an iPhone, you'll have the flash and the flash looks shit on most pics.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details