real time web analytics
Report - - Camerano Grottos, Italy. 03/08/07 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camerano Grottos, Italy. 03/08/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Made a couple of trips during my week in Italy.

First up the hill town of Camerano in the Le Marche region of Italy has a variety of man made grottos or caverns below it. There seems little certainty over the original reason for them being dug out - stories include reservoirs created by the Romans. Some are interlinked - I have a map which I will take a photo of and post up - but access between each one now is via the surface. The local commune take guided tours around some, subject to the permission of the owners. You will see that some have been reinforced in recent years (making them look a bit like a number of UK WW2 air raid shelters); a good idea since they appear to be mostly sandstone. Anyway, onto the photos -

Grotto 1 below the church
64981ff4.jpg

b67593d9.jpg

19583a96.jpg

Grotto 2 below a school
ce7c1daf.jpg

632fae00.jpg

022ab663.jpg

138d2230.jpg

6f479c0d.jpg

Grotto 3 - entrance via a shop - consists of two chambers joined by a long corridor.
de7eb6bb.jpg

9173c242.jpg

7f7d9af2.jpg

232b0be8.jpg

d47f4221.jpg

P

There are more hill towns than you can shake a stick at in this part of Italy but apparently very few have this sort of underground area. One other that does is Osimo..... more to follow.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details