real time web analytics
Report - - CAMP 116 - High Hall (Dec 2018) | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - CAMP 116 - High Hall (Dec 2018)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Proxy_the_Moocher

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

I am finally able to post my first thread on here, at the back end of 2018 @Carpathian and I went to visit CAMP116 before it gets demolished/redeveloped (it has now been sold in june 2018) - i know this has been covered a few times but I couldn't wait to get active on 28DL.

The site has a rich heritage, conforming to the so-called ‘Standard’ PoW camp layout. The guards’ compound consists of standard Ministry of War Production huts, while the inmates’ huts are built in the rare timber Laing style. An English Heritage survey rated the camp as ‘near complete’ in 2003.

PoW Camp 116 was set up in Essex, in 1941 to house Italian prisoners-of-war, and in 1943 and 1944 it mainly held German and Austrian inmates. The camp was decommissioned in 1955, and was then privately owned until it was bequeathed to a beneficiary who sold it to a building company. The company’s proposal to demolish the camp has been met with resistance from members of the local community, who have launched a campaign to prevent the housing development going ahead.

Last edited: