Web
Analytics
General - - Cane Hill and Severalls | Asylums and Hospitals | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Cane Hill and Severalls

tumbles

Trip Hopping
Regular User
Does anyone know how these derelict buildings can just mysteriously spontaneously combust? And if I knew about the place when it was still here, I would get everyone I could to help get it listed...But I was 6 or 7 when they tried to list them and I never knew about these places..Shame, now I will NEVER see that famous clocktower :(:mad :banghead
They don't actually self combust of course, but that's always the line trotted out. The listing application wasn't a half arsed effort - the likes of Simon Cornwell, Lillmouse & co put a lot of effort in and I think 3 separate applications went in over a period of time. The reality was CH was extremely run down, some areas of it had been derelict for 40+ years and the overall design of it gave a look more of a prison. It probably wouldn't have converted as well as Netherne on the other side of the hill for example.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
They don't actually self combust of course, but that's always the line trotted out. The listing application wasn't a half arsed effort - the likes of Simon Cornwell, Lillmouse & co put a lot of effort in and I think 3 separate applications went in over a period of time. The reality was CH was extremely run down, some areas of it had been derelict for 40+ years and the overall design of it gave a look more of a prison. It probably wouldn't have converted as well as Netherne on the other side of the hill for example.
Shame really, but then again you have to blame Enoch Powell for the closure of these places...If he didn't become the Minister of Health back in the 60's and asylums were only just starting to be closed down now, at least they would try to be listed AFAIK...

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
I hate to be the parade-rainer, it would be great to see admin restored but there just no way in the world that's going to happen. I mean, it's what, 70% destroyed already? It would be near impossible to put it back together again even if the will and money were there, and neither will be. Best we can hope for is water tower (which has probably only survived due to all those mobile phone masts) and chapel. But yeah interesting point that they claimed it was ok to demolish it as other examples were there, then they destroyed those too! The short-sighted twats.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
I hate to be the parade-rainer, it would be great to see admin restored but there just no way in the world that's going to happen. I mean, it's what, 70% destroyed already? It would be near impossible to put it back together again even if the will and money were there, and neither will be. Best we can hope for is water tower (which has probably only survived due to all those mobile phone masts) and chapel. But yeah interesting point that they claimed it was ok to demolish it as other examples were there, then they destroyed those too! The short-sighted twats.
With you on everything on that......Those pricks thinking they can just demolish anything they want, whether it's listed or not...

tumbles

Trip Hopping
Regular User
The water tower isn't in a great way, not least it's got service tunnels going under it. I can't even think about the inside again just right now, I'm still having pigeon shit nightmares from before Christmas :D

The best I think you can hope with re: Admin is they keep the front fascia and a new build behind it.. that's quite trendy at the moment.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone know how these derelict buildings can just mysteriously spontaneously combust? And if I knew about the place when it was still here, I would get everyone I could to help get it listed...But I was 6 or 7 when they tried to list them and I never knew about these places..Shame, now I will NEVER see that famous clocktower :(:mad :banghead
There's requirements to get a building listed, you can't just write a letter and it's done. If it doesn't meet the requirements it won't get listed, end of story.

And both water towers are still there, so I don't understand how you will never see it?

People go on about listing like it's the be-all and end-all of a buildings survival bit that isn't so. Sometimes listing means that the buildings degenerate because the owner can't afford the more detailed restoration requirements. Conversion is the ONLY thing that saves old buildings... and who the hell would want to live there, aesthetically, it was a horrible place except for the very rear.

Shame really, but then again you have to blame Enoch Powell for the closure of these places...If he didn't become the Minister of Health back in the 60's and asylums were only just starting to be closed down now, at least they would try to be listed AFAIK...
Stop ranting. Enoch Powell was dead right, the medical and social aspects of mental health medicine had moved on, and so the country needed to as well. He summed it up with his 'water tower speech' of which you're familiar, being an expert ( http://studymore.org.uk/xpowell.htm ). Why would they erroneously list them either now or forty years ago?

With you on everything on that......Those pricks thinking they can just demolish anything they want, whether it's listed or not...
Stop it. Think a little bit deeper than the instant words on your screen. Read and digest, do some research, make an informed opinion, then comment.

zombizza

Pink
Regular User
I think that, remembering these places weren't half as bad as we currently like to think of them, they all shouldn't have been closed down. There are definitely many patients who would be better off in institutional care. I think the over reliance in the new anti-psychotic medication and economic reasons drove their closure far to prematurely.

tumbles

Trip Hopping
Regular User
I think that, remembering these places weren't half as bad as we currently like to think of them, they all shouldn't have been closed down. There are definitely many patients who would be better off in institutional care. I think the over reliance in the new anti-psychotic medication and economic reasons drove their closure far to prematurely.
Might have been good to retain a few more, but there are still several open. Noticeably the Welsh NHS approach seems to keeping them open till proper alternatives are available.

Worth remembering by end of the 70's most of them were barely 50% full.

unicornleather

28DL Member
28DL Member
Agree, it wasn't that bad in there or in Long Grove (Epsom) or Queen Elizabeth (just up the road in Holly lane Banstead) yes physical and sexual abuse did happen in these places but then it happens outside of these places too. Some of the residents in QE hospital actually had breakdowns when closure loomed and they were to be placed in group homes on the outside(it was a learning disability hosp not predominately psychiatric as in Cane Hill and Long Grove).
Most were institutionalised but they were happy and felt safe there.
It's a shame they closed them, people lost not only their home but there were considerable job losses too.
Sad to see Cane Hill in such a state, Oz

DubbedNavigator

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Really...?

Ha....