real time web analytics
Featured Report - - Cane Hill Hospital, Coulsdon - Mega Archive 2003-2007 | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Featured Report - Cane Hill Hospital, Coulsdon - Mega Archive 2003-2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member
My own personal discovery of Cane Hill asylum in Surrey begun one evening in March 2003. A small group of friends and i walked round the massive perimeter fence in awe at what we could see on the other side. Not knowing anything about the building, access, or even the possibility of security we were enticed under the fence and in through a wide open window, in actual fact there wasn't even a frame! The first thing we noticed was how 'springy' it felt underfoot, un-deterred we carried on out of the ward we had entered through and into the seemingly never ending corridor network. It was damp, there was glass on the floor, creepers and ivy weaving in through the windows and doors - even under the plasterwork. What was this place all about......and why was it just sat rotting away in deadly silence. In the next week or two we had returned to see more. This time it was bright sunshine and i was armed with my brand new digital camera - 'look at this lads it's got 1.3million pixels!!!'

16th March 2003: First daytime trip.

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

Not only had we got a real feel for the sheer scale, layout, condition and decaying grandeur of the place but also we had an eventful day bumping into other explorers and soaking in the sunshine. I still wasn't hooked but we all posessed the desire to come back and see more. We had also seen the swimming pool but unfortunately my camera batteries hadn't lasted. It was still in tact and full of very mouldy water.

2nd Visit: Approximately a week later

IMAG0001-1.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019-1.jpg

IMAG0023a.jpg

IMAG0028b.jpg

On this trip we had progressed through Faraday ward, across to 'Guy'. This was our first experience of a totally ruined floor. We were gradually getting a feel for what we could stand on, and what was unsafe. We had also seen the Mortuary, which at this time was almost immaculate. You can't always be serious when exploring!

Eventually we made our way towards the Male wards of the hospital with significance placed on Vincent/Vanbrugh - a full sized ward block that was 1 of the first to close, as a result it was very spongey underfoot and we were a bit unsure. As a friend pointed out (looking through a gaping hole) 'it's only a foot to the mud underneath'. We carried on and headed to the top floor where i spotted a mysterious octagonal tower with no feasible way to get to it. I made a mental note and moved on - we saw the admin block for the first time and it seemed like it was a million miles away from the hospital. Pristine wood panelling and immaculate interiors.

3rd Visit: April 2003

IMAG0001-2.jpg

IMAG0004-1.jpg

IMAG0006-1.jpg

IMAG0007-1.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017-1.jpg

IMAG0018-1.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0030-1.jpg

On this trip we had encountered our first cautious moments, suspecting that security was present on-site. Although cautious i split from the group as they left. I stayed and photographed some exteriors. After i had finished my rounds i noticed two people walking slowly round the perimeter - they had cameras and they were about my age so i said hello. The very trusting girl then asked me if i could show her the mortuary! Why the heck not!!!! After saying goodbye to the two i had met on the perimeter i met back up with the rest of my group and we went back in. We had a nosey down a tunnel entrance we had spotted in a courtyard adjacent with the laundry. To our surprise it had led us to a huge underground room with 4 or 5 sectioned off rooms, some of them had chutes leading to ground level.

Some time later and via an urbex website i had got in contact with the two people we had met previously and arranged a trip back!

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member
Re: Cane Hill mega archive. Picture heavy.

Throughout April and may, my usual exploring friends had lost some of their initial interest in Cane Hill, however i had since become good friends with a group that i had met previously. They wanted to explore more of the grounds of Cane Hill, and in particular the modern staff hostel, tennis courts, weighbridge, garden house and greenhouses.
We had also made our first night-time trip, where we got as far as the mortuary and left in quite a hurry!

IMAG0004-2.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0013-1.jpg

IMAG0021-1.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0033-1.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

I stayed away from the building for quite some time, shaken up at the newly reported prospect of security, but on hearing the news via Simons site that there had been a huge fire at Cane Hill, i rushed back to see what the damage was.

Next visit, late October 2003:

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Vincent and Vanbrugh ward had been set alight and from what we could see, had destroyed the entire roof. The fence had been taken down to let fire crews in and i snuck up for a closer look - peering in through the windows everything looked in tact. The fire must have been concentrated in 1 section of the building, yet taken the sntire roofline with it. I was at least pleased to see that my mysterious octagonal tower had survived the fire, a small token after the tragic loss of 1 of the least explored and largest wards.

Still underconfident about going inside the main building, i returned to cane hill just once more that year. This time to restore a huge hospital sign, totally unreadable thanks to years of grime and mould. It was as simple as the fact i wanted to read it!

Late December 2003:

IMAG0016-1.jpg

IMAG0024-1.jpg

IMAG0026-1.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

At the start of 2004 I finally plucked up the courage to go back inside the main building. If i'm honest i was getting fed up with my camera by this point though!

January 2004:

IMAG0029-1.jpg

IMAG0030-2.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

One of my own personal goals was to inpect the damage caused in November 2003 to Vincent / Vanbrugh ward. We headed towards the male side of the hospital and after passing Wren / Wesley and Zachary / Unwin we came to Vincent / Vanbrugh. The doors were misted over, as we opened them we could see the start of the devastation. The smell hit us immediately and as we walked down the springy corridor we came across the total devastation. The photo's didn't pick it up at all but all three floors had been burnt out of the ward, only the 4 walls and concrete top floor ceiling remained. It was a shell. We didn't venture too much further this trip.

Something amazing happened before my next trip! I had saved up all my pennies and bought a Fuji S5000 digital camera (later a S5500)! Needless to say i needed some practice

Late february 2004:

DSCF0226.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0302.jpg

A perimeter walk was topped off with our first venture to the roof of the nurses block. We sat up there and soaked up the busy view, then had a poke around the garden house. Garden house was wide open and in a very poor state of repair. Upstairs, floors sagged precariously upstairs.

Guess what? The next day i was back. This time with ANOTHER group i had met walking the perimeter.

Late february 2004:

DSCF0305.jpg

DSCF0320a.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

We had been back to the chapel, through to admin and following this down into the bunker. Security turned up so we had left!

April 2004:

Went for a solo stroll and tried to get some pictures from the pedestrian side of the fence.

DSCF1177.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

...of admin!

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

Mid April 2004:

An explore with some respected figures of UK urban exploration - and i was honoured to be showing them around!

DSCF1234.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1249.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1328.jpg

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1334.jpg

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

We had managed to cover a large area of the hospital, some was new to me and some felt familar. What puzzled me was the rubble and bricks everywhere? what had been going on? I had also managed to get my first decipherable pictures of the fire damage in Vincent / Vanbrugh

Early June 2004:

Met up with Simons exploring friend Laurence, we wanted to explore from a new starting point! a hatch outside Vanbrugh / Vincent ward.

DSCF1565.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

With our original target being that we wanted to find a new way into the buildings, we hadn't felt dissapointed in not succeeding as there were so many artifacts down there. This included what we can only guess would have been a converyor system for collecting ash from the ground floor fire places and outside.

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

Early September 2004:

First solo visit, and a short one at that! combined with a quick night time recce i had discovered the use of the octagonal tower

DSCF2440.jpg

DSCF2443.jpg

DSCF2445.jpg

DSCF2447.jpg

DSCF2448.jpg

DSCF2462.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

DSCF2469.jpg

DSCF2470.jpg

DSCF2471.jpg

as you can see, after all the mystery of the 'octagonal tower' it turned out to be a stairway!

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

December 04: 3 visits in total

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0411.jpg

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0420.jpg

DSCF0427.jpg

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0456.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1098.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1163.jpg

DSCF1171.jpg

DSCF1184-1.jpg

DSCF1186.jpg

We had begun to see some new perspectives, clambering into the projection booth, seeing the un-burned bits of Vincent / Vanbrugh, revisted the mysterious underground room, been into wards close to admin and ventured into the courtyards.

what you don't see is a trip made earlier that year where i didnt have a camera, showing a canadian explorer around cane hill. Instead he had caught it on tape instead.

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

Cane Hill was left alone for nearly three months. I returned with a few missions in mind

March:

1-18.jpg

3-17.jpg

4-17.jpg

5-18.jpg

DA1.jpg

demo1.jpg

demo2.jpg

demo3.jpg

demo4.jpg

demo5.jpg

demo6.jpg

Between me and others, we had found our way into the pharmacy - progress was distracted by what we could see of the admin block. Mysteriously, a few months before, a small section of corridor had been boarded off. We could now see why, someone had blown a whopping great hole in Admin! We went to investigate!

April:

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

DSCF3130a.jpg

8a.jpg

10a.jpg

11a.jpg

12a.jpg

13a.jpg

datea.jpg

stairs1.jpg

We had re-visited the pharmacy and taken better photos, explored un-documented floors of Donne and Dickens ward which were a total contrast to the decay and destruction of the rest of the hopsital. The clocktower was also finally conquered!

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

Then, my eternal thanks to a prominent explorer for showing me what i saw on my next visit.....

DSCF3604.jpg

DSCF3613.jpg

DSCF3615.jpg

DSCF3617.jpg

DSCF3618.jpg

DSCF3619.jpg

DSCF3622.jpg

DSCF3623.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3632.jpg

DSCF3635.jpg

DSCF3639.jpg

DSCF3647.jpg

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3655.jpg

DSCF3673.jpg

It started with a sharp ascent to the roof of Vincent / Vanbrugh lift shaft. The view was absolutely stunning, although looking down - especially to the hollow ward we'd ascended was a bit unnerving!
The excitement didn't stop there, on our way to Wren / Wesley we were presented with a precarious looking set of steps leading into a 1st floor corridor in the main ward. I had walked it before but it looked worse than ever.
1 of the explorers i was with, bravely tested the water and disaster struck. A whole section of floor collapsed, lunging the explorer down with it, shortly followed by the stairs themselves. It proved to be a very lucky escape with just minor injuries sustained. We chilled out and had a good old laugh on top of the nurses block roof. Reflected upon a flukey escape.

May '05:

DSCF3736.jpg

DSCF3746.jpg

DSCF4767.jpg

DSCF4778.jpg

DSCF4781.jpg

DSCF4789.jpg

DSCF4798.jpg

DSCF4825.jpg

DSCF4830.jpg

We went back to assess what had happend with the floor collapse, documented Kings / Keats/ Keller ward block (a full sized, and relatively in tact one) and made a night trip.

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member

The Final Installment....

DSCF4510.jpg

DSCF4511.jpg

DSCF4516.jpg

DSCF4522.jpg

DSCF4523.jpg

DSCF4524.jpg

DSCF4874.jpg

DSCF4877.jpg

DSCF4884.jpg

DSCF4885.jpg

So this was it. I had re-established contact with some of the very first group we'd met inside the hill. They showed us James Moody's grave (Former hospital Chaplain). We had seen massive corridor collapse and more or less said goodbye.

The photos don't cover every part of the building i've been in, nor did i always take a camera with me.

I've never been back!

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These are beautiful. Gorgeous saturated colours, almost dreamy. Not what I usually associate with the stark, brooding hulks of Cane Hill. Makes me wonder what pictures of CH might have been like if taken in the 1910s in colour in autochrome or Kodachrome. It's amazing how the atmosphere completely changes when you switch cameras and the images conform to the sharp, emotionless no-nonsense digital look which also makes everything still look like it was taken just a few hours ago.

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This Saturday 2nd April would have to have been in 1988. Of all the asylums - CH had the most garish wallpapers. So many eye-watering patterns. The Croydon Archives contain a few mesmerising photos of wards freshly papered and furnished in these unforgettable 70s/80s styles. I only recently discovered that those half-moon types of windows (above the doors and which CH had an abundance of) are called diocletian windows.

Awesome set of posts, great mix of detail shots and wides, hadn't gotten round to reading all the posts all until now. What a timeless adventure, too.

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Holy hell what a Christmas treat this is! What deapths of the forum did you manage to find this thread to bump?

This stuff needs its own section along with a drive to get more people posting thier pre 28days photos. Was only thinking the other day how all those pre 28 personal websites all gradually disappeared without a trace. Bring back 'nobody there' 'sub-urban' and tails of the 'flincher' :<3

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Certainly a very welcome surprise this morning. Marlon (Mr. Bones) is posting a lot of old Cane Hill stuff on his Facebook at the moment from 2003 which is magical.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Fuck yes. Well done for the bump speed. Id not seen this report before. Soooo noteworthy. I can't believe I missed this mammoth of a place.

Who has read this thread (Total: 226) View details