real time web analytics
Report - - Cane Hill Asylum, Coulsdon - Feb 2007 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cane Hill Asylum, Coulsdon - Feb 2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T

the fear

I've always seen Cane Hill as the daddy of Asylums, and since I was passing today I thought it'd be rude not to have a quick look around.

I was totally unprepared but knowing it was in Coulsdon and on a hill I had a wonder in the car, a quick glimpse of the water tower from the town lead me to the road to the west of the site and I wondered in along the footpath.

Being a) In a hurry, b) Reasonably unskilled and c) a pussy, I stuck to a quick recce around the perimeter..

A few pictures, taken through the fence. Access looked watertight throughout (at least with my limited skills) and I was well aware of the fearsome reputation of security..

IMG_4610aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4618aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4617aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4619aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4621aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4629aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4632aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4637aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4640aSMALL.jpg

Nothing too inspiring, partially because of the limitations of shooting through the fence. I have more; might post them depending on how bothered people are and whether I can be arsed to process them..

Towards the end of my wonder I heard the security van approaching rapidly, assuming I'd already been spotted and knowing I probably wouldn't get a bollocking for being outside the fence (and thinking I was still on the footpath) I stood my ground and had a chat with the bloke. I was polite, he was courteous and advised me how to get back on the footpath. This route took me around the remainder of the perimeter, by which time my woefully small CF card was full so I called it a day.

I was quite surprised by how good security were - if they're reading this (which I imagine they are :p )fair play for not being cunts ;)

Hardly the most exciting Cane Hill write up or pictures, but I know the places' days are numbered and I was just happy to have seen it first hand :)

mr_bones

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's a great set of photos, always nice to have a decent set of exterior shots of a place and yours are good. A shame you cant get right round the perimeter without being gently persuaded to retrace your steps.

It is looking a lot less overgrown than a couple of years ago. I'm aware they had a good go at cutting it all down and killing it off a while back.

Old photos (hence quality) for a bit of comparison

ch2.jpg

ch.jpg

ch3.jpg

T

the fear

Cheers people - I didn't think a spot of "urban tourist" fence worrying would get such a response :D

I really appreciate the comments and encouragement with the photos as I'm still trying to get to grips with post processing. This week's lesson is S curves in photoshop - I think I'm slowly winning...

rookinella, I thought security were sound tbh - admittedly I was outside the fence but still on private property, and given all the photographic gear I had it was pretty obvious what I was up to..

Winchester - If only; you can see the fence in some of the photos below, short of a rope ladder and an old bit of carpet I can't see how I'd get my chunk over.

mr bones - Nice pictures - how old are they? I see you managed to get a bit further than I did ;)

paulo - I'm starting to get that feeling now, the bug has bitten. IMO the biggest problem in my eyes is entry and exit; I don't think avoiding security would be too bad once inside, apart from the dogs perhaps.

The rest of my half decent photos (I remembered to tweak the white balance on most of these ones :eek: ), in no particular order..

IMG_4689aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4690aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4691aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4694aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4696aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4686bSMALL.jpg

IMG_4680aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4674aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4659aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4676aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4679aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4665aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4645aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4647aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4656aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4634aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4627aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4639aSMALL.jpg

IMG_4624aSMALL.jpg

All shot with a Canon 350D, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8.
Converted from RAW and edited using Photoshop CS2

Hope you enjoy :)