real time web analytics
Report - - Cane Hill Water Tower - November 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cane Hill Water Tower - November 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Parenthood, one of the most wonderful experiences in life. Unless you like exploring that is. Yeah, become a parent and kiss goodbye to any sort of regular exploring. Not that I'd change my beautiful daughter for a moment but weekends like this just remind me of why I love exploring and the friends that I've made over the time I've been doing it. This weekend was long in the planning, hell it had to be to get management authorisation. Friday night ensued sitting on top of the Mills with a can of beer and admiring the view. The following day ended with another beauty of a view but minus the beer and plus the horrors of the most horrific pigeon shit infested climb I've experienced.

I climbed the tower back in the summer of 2008 when the demolition of the hospital began. I sure as hell don't remember being it anywhere near as bad. The view back then was of the sprawling derelict buildings of one of the most iconic explores in the country.

1.jpg

2.jpg

It was bizarre to find the same old way into the grounds of the hospital some 6 years later. Sad to see the sorry state of the admin building that I fear will meet it's fate with a bulldozer next year when work finally begins on regenerating the site. Unexpectedly the watertower being open was a surprise and one not to pass up. Never did I imagine the sheer torture of making it to the roof. I binned my clothes when I got back to the car, it was that bad.

10.jpg

The view however was stunning as the early evening winter sunset. You can see for miles around, picking out other asylum water towers such as Netherne in the distance. No wonder the locals wanted to keep it, you really don't appreciate how far away you can see it. Kevin McCloud is already twitting at the prospect of a couple camping outside in a caravan as they scratch the funds together to turn it into their ornate house.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Never. Ever. Again.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha looks really good, shame about the defecation! Would love to get up there before it's too late. Nice pics :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Parenthood, one of the most wonderful experiences in life. Unless you like exploring that is. Yeah, become a parent and kiss goodbye to any sort of regular exploring. Not that I'd change my beautiful daughter for a moment but weekends like this just remind me of why I love exploring and the friends that I've made over the time I've been doing it.

I'm sure there's many of us that feel exactly the same way mate, to the letter. It's hard to explain to anyone not in the same situation though.

Good explore as well. Yes to pigeony death-trap water towers.

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
I'm sure there's many of us that feel exactly the same way mate, to the letter. It's hard to explain to anyone not in the same situation though.

Good explore as well. Yes to pigeony death-trap water towers.

Amen, try having two of the little buggers :)

Good work. I thought this tower had bitten the dust.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After experiencing the water tower at St Ebba's last year, I can begin to imagine what horrors awaited you here.

When we visited here last year it was sadly locked up tight, would love to get up there at some point.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Here here, I have very fond memories of risking my skin climbing festering death traps that were the great asylum water towers. I think anyone that was around in those days knows exactly what you mean...

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was proper nasty in there, good laugh though! Everything had to be either decontaminated or binned after.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Beat me to it :D :rolleyes: I wonder what the admin looks like now? STILL yet to get my arse in gear and get down here before it becomes totally unrecognisable!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Admin is part shell part empty & smoke damaged. Basement is about the most interesting bit of it left.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Admin is part shell part empty & smoke damaged. Basement is about the most interesting bit of it left.

So it's not really worth it then? Blast :banghead If I was born earlier I would've know about this place before it became the unrecognisable shell it is now. Oh well, maybe when time travel comes, eh? :rolleyes:

The_Raw

Staff member
I hadn't realised there was anything left of this place but there appear to be quite a few buildings, guess they are all completely stripped now but still good to see. Nice one :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I hadn't realised there was anything left of this place but there appear to be quite a few buildings, guess they are all completely stripped now but still good to see. Nice one :thumb

There is only the chapel (which has been stripped of most of its pews since the hall fire in 2003) and half burnt down shell of admin. Oh and the secure cottage hospital over outside of the main hospital fence/grounds but that's a very modern building.