real time web analytics
Report - - Canon Brewery, Sheffield, March 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Canon Brewery, Sheffield, March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canon Brewery

History

Stones Brewery (William Stones Ltd) was a regional brewery founded in 1868 by William Stones in Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire, and purchased by the Bass Brewery in 1968.
After its closure in 1999 its major brand, Stones Bitter, has continued to be produced by the Molson Coors Brewing Company.

Stones Bitter was brewed at the Cannon Brewery from 1948 and was popular with Sheffield's steel workers. Stones Bitter was originally available across the south of Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, with distribution extended to the rest of the north of England in 1977, and nationwide from 1979, accompanied by a considerable marketing push.

Increasing demand saw it also brewed at other Bass breweries from the 1970s onwards.

The beer's popularity reached its apex in 1992 when it was the country's highest selling bitter, selling over a million barrels.

The beer has been lauded in certain quarters as "one of Sheffield's most famous exports". Sadly, the declining demand for Stones Bitter has meant that this once bustling brewery has been stood empty for a decade and a half, and demolition work has started recently.

The Visit

Been after seeing this place for a few years now, but for one reason or another it never happened, but finally the day arrived when I had nothing else on and decided to call over. I think in the end I left it far too late as there is not much left to see really of the original brewary, it's been mostly turned into a giant artists sketch book these days. Never the less, it still passes a few hours.

[1]
IMG_25261.jpg

[2]
IMG_25116.jpg

[3]
IMG_25160.jpg

[4] & [5]
IMG_25170.jpg
IMG_25179.jpg

[6] & [7]
IMG_25199.jpg
IMG_25205.jpg

[8]
IMG_25228.jpg

[9] & [10]
IMG_25232.jpg
IMG_25264.jpg

[11] & [12]
IMG_25270.jpg
IMG_25323.jpg

[13] & [14]
IMG_25325.jpg
IMG_25326.jpg

Full Gallery HERE

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty well trashed nowadays mate but you've captured it well, nice pics and report :thumb

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agree with Will knot its trashed but I like your report and nicely captured. :thumb

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Good stuff :thumb
Although it's trashed, I'd still be interested in having a mooch for all the graffiti in there