real time web analytics
Report - - Canterbury Cathedral - Jan 2013 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Canterbury Cathedral - Jan 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

One Flew East

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Cathedral's history goes back to 597AD when Augustine, a monk, sent by Pope Gregory the Great as a missionary, established his seat (or 'Cathedra') in Canterbury. In 1170 Archbishop Thomas Becket was murdered in the Cathedral and ever since, the Cathedral has attracted thousands of pilgrims, as told famously in Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

What exists today bears little resemblance to the original Cathedral, what with fires, demolition and re-building of the tower, and of course some efforts by Heinkel-driving Germans in WW2, but most of what exisits today was built between the 10th and 14th centuries.

I've been stalking the precincts for some time, eyeing it up and assessing potential options of getting up it - the problems mainly being that there always seemed to be people around and the obvious way up was floodlit to within an inch of its life. After a number of visits I was in danger of taking the 'six Ps' rule too far and it was time just to crack on and have a go. I need not have worried, I'm pleased to report that there does come a time of day when everyone goes to bed and they switch the floodlights off.

The whole venture, from the point of actually getting into the Precinct grounds, and the method of doing so, to getting back out again, was an experience I won't forget, and it turned out to be quite a relaxed affair, all told.

I got to the point shown by the arrow in the first photo.

760_wm.jpg

Canterburycathedrala007.jpg

Canterburycathedrala014.jpg

Canterburycathedrala020.jpg

Canterburycathedrala050.jpg

Canterburycathedrala049.jpg

Canterburycathedrala045.jpg

Canterburycathedrala048.jpg

Canterburycathedrala023.jpg

There's something special about getting up this close to such an historic building, and being able to touch and see bits of it from a perspective few people ever will get to.
Canterburycathedrala024.jpg

Canterburycathedrala025.jpg

Canterburycathedrala030.jpg

Canterburycathedrala001.jpg

Canterburycathedrala003.jpg

Canterburycathedrala065.jpg

The next two are a couple taken from either end of the library roof, over on the opposite side of the building, which I'd done a month or two earlier. The temporary roof covering has since been removed -

Canterburycathedrala011.jpg

Canterburycathedrala0003.jpg

Canterburycathedrala051.jpg

Canterburycathedrala056.jpg

Canterburycathedrala064.jpg

Canterburycathedrala059.jpg

Canterburycathedrala060.jpg

Canterburycathedrala055.jpg

eyelash911

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
fantastic pics !! that gargoyle showing the head within its teeth is very interesting! i haven't seen many like that at ground level on the cathedrals. the stonework and masonry as per usual (as it is on all the cathedrals and minsters) is superb. The craftmanship that even to this day, puts the likes of ikea to shame !! lol

thanks for sharing those, am sure i shall be having another look in a couple of days too!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details