real time web analytics
Report - - Canterbury Gas Holder - March 2015 | High Stuff | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Canterbury Gas Holder - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

eyelash911

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Going sound like a sad spotter now, but I picked up on your starry night photo (3rd photo) and really impressed. You have the constellation of Orion the Hunter right in the middle of that photo with Orion's Belt and Sword very obvious. Within the sword is probably the easiest Nebula (a dust cloud) to observe. Notice how the top left star in Orion is distinctly red meaning it's burning colder than most other stars. That's Betelgeuse. By contrast the bottom right star is very blue/white meaning it is burning very hot. That's Rigel.

Move to the right from Orion and about half way to the foreground bit with the graffiti on, we see the triangular shaped horns of Taurus. Notice the top left star being orange/red. That's the cold supergiant Aldebaran.

Look right again and just where the sky hits the foreground bit with the graffiti on we see the small saucepan shaped star cluster of Pleiades. Many people wrongly think it's another galaxy. No - its a star cluster within our own galaxy. About 5 or 6 stars in Pleiades can be seen with the naked eye. Binoculars will pick up many more.

The bright star to the left of Orion is Sirius lying in the constellation of Canis Major. Also known as the Dog Star and the brightest star in the night sky by far.

Unfortunately you have just slightly cropped out Jupiter from your photo. Currently in the constellation of Leo it would have been on the left side of the photo at the top and about as bright at Sirius. It is possible with a cheap telescope to pick up 4 of the moons of Jupiter.

I know, I need to get out more. Just getting my coat now.

very interesting. theres also rumours that betelguese has already gone supernova and the light from it has not reached us yet. interesting theory i guess.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
very interesting. theres also rumours that betelguese has already gone supernova and the light from it has not reached us yet. interesting theory i guess.

Betelguese is 640ish light years away, meaning that as we look at it today, we are seeing it as it was 640 years ago - circa the year 1375 A.D. What you said above is improbable but perfectly plausible. Betelguese is almost certainly in it's last million years of life at least.

You can give yourself a major headfuck by looking at the night sky and thinking to yourself that you are actually looking back in time.

eyelash911

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Betelguese is 640ish light years away, meaning that as we look at it today, we are seeing it as it was 640 years ago - circa the year 1375 A.D. What you said above is improbable but perfectly plausible. Betelguese is almost certainly in it's last million years of life at least.

You can give yourself a major headfuck by looking at the night sky and thinking to yourself that you are actually looking back in time.

very true!! i always found it very fascinating how venus and uranus have a retrograde rotation. personally i would have thought the laws of physics and energy would make that impossible?? not very scientific minded but do take an interest.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
!!! you have an interest in astronomy that goes way beyond the knowledge of most. I just had to go on Wikipedia to check that out about the retrograde rotations of those 2 planets. I didn't know that (or probably did know and forgot) and I was taught by a professor of astrophysics for 3 years. Right now, I can't think why that would be. Of cause all planets, viewed from the Earth go through phases of apparent retrograde orbit.

Anyways, I think this thread has been hijacked. It's supposed to be about gas holders so enough from me.

eyelash911

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
!!! you have an interest in astronomy that goes way beyond the knowledge of most. I just had to go on Wikipedia to check that out about the retrograde rotations of those 2 planets. I didn't know that (or probably did know and forgot) and I was taught by a professor of astrophysics for 3 years. Right now, I can't think why that would be. Of cause all planets, viewed from the Earth go through phases of apparent retrograde orbit.

Anyways, I think this thread has been hijacked. It's supposed to be about gas holders so enough from me.

Lol and i thought i was fairly thick with the astral stuff !! i'm not very good at remembering all the star systems names etc, but recognise most of them by sight and in emulation. And i bet that was very interesting education !! :rolleyes:

and yes very true.....brilliant post and what a platform to view from !! it really does look amazing up there!!