Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Cardiff cable tunnel | Leads, Rumours and News... | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Cardiff cable tunnel

SparkUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly there is a way of getting when travelling by train from Cardiff central to Cardiff Queen Street you can see a way of getting in just past the big sleep hotel look that way. Secondly judging by the amount of security the other side I would say that it would probably be a no go.
You should have a go at that really.

apocolypito

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just wondering if anyone local to Cardiff had found it yet? I'm an hour outside it and don't really know the city area that well, but if someone local was up for it I'd tag along to help out. The map does not make much sense to an "outsider". No need to be a t*#t about it.

captainweird

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
2000 litres per minute water inflow, hope the waterproofing holds up, and the sump pumps are maintained or it'll be just another sewer!

Phil

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Some more info:

IN RESPONSE to Terry Burnett's letter in Saturday's Echo, Mr Burnett inquired of the wrong person when he asked at the postal sorting office - the tunnels he talks about were constructed in 1973-1974 for Post Office Telephones.

When the Adam Street telephone exchange was built, a network of tunnels was constructed to carry telephone cabling between the new exchange, the Park Street exchange and other points around the city centre. Presumably for security reasons little was published at the time, but the tunnels are more correctly referred to as cable ducts. The two main tunnels are Park Street to Adam Street and Park Street to North Road and I believe that these are large enough to drive a Morris Minor van through. The former was built with a diversion around Brain's Brewery's artesian well and the latter ran under the pitch of what is now the Millennium Stadium to the base of the castle clock tower, then around the castle to the side of the law courts on North Road. I think there is also a third tunnel from Park Street under the River Taff to the junction of Tudor Street and Fitzhamon Embankment. Since the introduction of fibre-optic cabling, such large tunnels are no longer necessary and I don't think they are still in use.

* Mike Street Canton, Cardiff * These two vehicles were brought down from London to lay telephone cables in the tunnels in Cardiff in May 1974.

On the left is the special underground cable pulling unit in use outside Cardiff Castle and on the right the large cable-carrying unit at the side of the Law Courts
Tunnels were built to carry Post Office telephone cables around city centre. - Free Online Library

and...

“A lot of people might not know there’s a tunnel big enough to drive a train through running from Castle Street over to the International Arena and right over to Fitzhamon Embankment at its opposite end.

“It was built by the General Post Office back in the 1970s to carry the great lengths of cable everybody thought they were going to need as the city’s communication needs increased. It’s owned by BT now, but it’s still there.
and lots more info at There?s a lot more to Cardiff than meets the eye - Wales Online

and here's the book that's mentioned in the article...

Real Cardiff Three

Speed

Got Epic?
Staff member
Here's the building marked as 'New Telephone Exchange' looking towards where the 'Existing' Exchange was, presumably now flattened for the Millenium Stadium...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previ...Ww!2e0!5m2!1s-zTqe_M8QEjuGpmfJbY-Ww!2e0&fid=5

The shaft must be in this area, although there's nothing obvious...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d676!2d-3.184295!3d51.4766232!2m1!1e3&fid=7
I don think your quite right. The new BT tower thats there appears to have been built on the site of the old exchange on Park Street. The new exchange marked on the map looks to me to be the obviously 70s building opposite the old post office. I dont really know cardiff well but that looks to me like it could have been a BT exchange at some point?? Over laying the two maps puts one of the shafts in the park just north of the castle / in front of the court house. The other in the carpark area just south of Adam street and the third at the end of Tudor street.

Id say thats plenty to be getting on with!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don think your quite right. The new BT tower thats there appears to have been built on the site of the old exchange on Park Street. The new exchange marked on the map looks to me to be the obviously 70s building opposite the old post office. I dont really know cardiff well but that looks to me like it could have been a BT exchange at some point?? Over laying the two maps puts one of the shafts in the park just north of the castle / in front of the court house. The other in the carpark area just south of Adam street and the third at the end of Tudor street.

Id say thats plenty to be getting on with!
Ah yes, but referring to the spur under the river, seems to reconcile with this... "I think there is also a third tunnel from Park Street under the River Taff to the junction of Tudor Street and Fitzhamon Embankment"

But yes, enough to be getting on with, plenty of info there.

and some more...

yes ther are tunnells under cardif they belong to bt 1 runs from maryann st to fitshamon embankment fromthere to the castle castle to wesgate st the bt building contains 2shaftsits not big enough for a train thogh lol i no i worked in them under compressedair its another world down there
The rain kicked in just as we got to Cardiff Bay Yacht Club. Among the confusion of trying to get the gate open, I wondered what could be inside worth including on a tour. Well, it turns out there used to be a tunnel underneath the river bed, which was used by dock workers. It was closed under health and safety, but Peter remembered the eeriness of the tunnel from his childhood and read a poem about riding through the tunnel on his bike.
BT in Cardiff…Posted on September 30, 2011 by admin
We are currently undertaking a large contract in Cardiff for BT Tunnels, involving a large installation of pipework for the safe removal of floodwater.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
BT always owned the land on the Park Street side of the current MillStad and it was where the original exchange was before BT House.

McAlpines managed to stave in the roof of one of the tunnels when they redeveloped the National Stadium in 1998. BT were allegedly none too impressed as the a) their property had been damaged (whether they used it or not) and b) the Welsh Rugby Union hadn't paid BT for the BT land they needed to build the new stadium. It took BT years to extract the money from the WRU in the end.

I assume the tunnel McAlpines hit was the Park Street to North Road one. The present WRU admin. offices are underground - gate 3 on Westgate Street for the MillStad and to be fair, it is massive down there. The WRU had the last laugh though as the redevelopment was on a fixed rate contract and McAlpines lost millions on their original quote.

The Park Street - Adam Street tunnel is more interesting because if you take it as being accurate, the tunnel has to run under, or very near to Cardiff prison. Pob always mentions a point between Cardiff Central and Cardiff Queen Street beside the Big Sleep. There is something here but I've looked at it and it seems more likely that it is the River Bute exit which allows the river to flow down into Cardiff basin. Also, if the BT tunnel does indeed go to Adam Street, this point (at the Big Sleep) is the wrong area as you are on Bute Street and Adam Street is further east.

If you did go under at the Big Sleep, I think you'll follow the Bute under Queen Street station and at some point past that, take a 90 degree turn to the right and you'll eventually see light again at top of Park Place near the council offices.

But, and there is always a but, this entrance point is very, very close to the CIA (International Arena on Maryann Street) as mentioned is OT's post.

The big problem with Cardiff city centre is that is has changed drastically in the last 5 years especially from Park Street to Adam Street for example. John Lewis and St. Davids 2 has been built on one side of the CIA plus the University of South Wales have built a massive complex on the other side of the CIA between the CIA and the prison.

Even I struggle to get my bearings down that end of town these days.