real time web analytics
Report - - Cardinal Court - Oldham - Feb 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cardinal Court - Oldham - Feb 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cardinal Court, Oldham

1_zpscca3d95d.jpg

History

Plans for 48 apartments on the site were originally approved in 2006, but work stopped when Oldham developer Hillstone went into administration in June 2008.

A development of 160 “micro†apartments in Oldham town centre has been given the green light by Oldham Planning Committee.

The unfinished, eight-storey building in Cardinal Street has been considered a prominent eyesore by many councillors, who unanimously agreed the proposal despite doubts about the size of rooms.

Councillor Roger Hindle, said: “You’ve heard the term ‘you can’t swing a cat’ . . . my concern is that you would struggle to swing a mouse.â€

This whole area has been redeveloped to allow the Metrolink connection to both Oldham and Shaw, at present many of the properties are abandoned as businesses were forced to close due to the lack of customers as traffic jams in Oldham were horrendous for 3+ years. Plans have recently been drawn up to redevelop the Mumps area with bars, restaurants and new businesses, time will tell if this area will bounce back!

My Visit

Anyone who knows me, knows I don’t do high places, but this is my first High Stuff report. I had a spare hour and had thought of visiting here for a bit, just so happens I was passing and had nothing better to do.

Kept the photos to a minimum as the camera shake was that bad due to my knees knocking, as well as there were only so many interesting views from up here. The 6 year old scaffold gets in the way when taking pics from the roof, venturing onto the scaffold is a fairly dire experience with many loose boards and trap ends (scaffold boards not fully supported, which will open up like a trap door) which is not healthy.

So on with the photos, a view up Huddersfield Road, the A62 from what was Mumps Roundabout.

5_zps689eb640.jpg

Looking up Union Street to the Town Centre and the Oldham Parish Church.

3_zps865ce8fe.jpg

This is the Blue Coat School, an impressive building which usually isn’t that visible.

4_zpsc39fe84e.jpg

And this is the abandoned bank at Mumps, it’s up for sale and a place many a local explorer would love to have a stroll around. Possibly one day.

2_zps076fbc42.jpg

Well that’s my first high stuff report, who knows I may do another at some point ;)

Cheers,

TLR.