real time web analytics
Report - - Carding Machines, Bailey Mill, Delph - June 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carding Machines, Bailey Mill, Delph - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Carding Machines, Bailey Mill, Delph - June 2012

Visited with Nocturnal and Oldskool

IMG_0099.jpg

A ridiculous amount of rainfall put paid to our previous plans, but Oldskool was kind enough to drive me over to Delph to check out their basement goodies which I have been lazy enough to never get round to. Fittingly, it was my goal at the other site we failed at, so it turned from a failure of a day into a small slice of winrar for me! Thanks Oldskool. Not too popular with some on this forum, but a top guy all the same. I notice all his reports are still on here, though :p:

This was supposed to be easy, but 'easy' access has changed somewhat, so a little effort ensued, eventually I shrugged off my CBA attitude and got on with the awkward squeeze.

History thanks to Zero81

Bailey mill in Delph was built in 3 stages, starting in 1863 with later additions in 1865 and 1871 respectively.

The mill was owned by the Mallalieu family who were in the textile business starting with cotton and later moving onto wool.

The firm went into administration in 1996. They came out of administration when they were bought by another Delph weaving company, Gledhills. However, in doing so, most of the business was transferred to Valley Mill just up the road. Bailey Mill remained in use until about January 2000.

Carding Process

After the wool dries, it is carded. Carding is a mechanical process that disentangles, cleans and intermixes fibers to produce a continuous web or sliver suitable for subsequent processing. This is achieved by passing the fibers between differentially moving surfaces covered with card clothing. It breaks up locks and unorganised clumps of fibre and then aligns the individual fibres to be parallel with each other.

The carding process involves passing the wool through rollers that have thin wire teeth. The teeth untangle the fibers and arrange them into a flat sheet called a web. The web is then formed into narrow ropes known as slivers.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0088-002.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg

Huddersfield Reprazent!

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg