real time web analytics
Report - - Carlton theatre/bingo, ingston Upon Hull, March 2013 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carlton theatre/bingo, ingston Upon Hull, March 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chauffeur

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have had my eye on this place for a good few years and has always been sealed as tight as a nuns drawers! then my wife rings me with the good news that our metal loving friends had been to visit.

Not much to see but it was nice to finally get in.

There isn't much history on this place apart from it was built on 9th September 1928, it was designed by Blackmore and Sykes (who also designed the Dorchester Theatre in Hull, the Ritz Theatre in Hull and Scala theatre in Rotherham), the first film shown was Lonesome ladies (also the name of an American B24 bomber which helped sink the Haruna Battleship and was designed by a British naval engineer!).

The last film shown was Those magnificent men in their flying machines, Or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes in 1967.

The seating in the lower levels was removed during its transformation into a cinema, but the upper levels still have some of their original seating.

Written above the Proscenium is, a picture is a poem without words.....then came talkie movies!

The theatre was built by Greenwood and sons.

The theatre had a Fitton and Hayley organ until the second world war and was then moved to the Cecil theatre and was subsequently destroyed during one of Hull's many bombings.

Anyway onto the pics

DSCF0637_zps7545f417.jpg

web1_zps0aaae717.jpg

web2_zpsb14b8ce3.jpg

web3_zps6b69013d.jpg

web4_zps324b1dde.jpg

web5_zpsf7e175da.jpg

web6_zps5708463b.jpg

web7_zpsef020e1b.jpg

Thanks for looking (sorry about the watermark but i have had 2 images lifted recently from another site!!)