Web
Analytics
Report - - Carlton Theatre, Hull, March 2013 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carlton Theatre, Hull, March 2013



AuntieKnickers

inquisitive historian
Regular User
#1
Visited with The Stig

Carlton Theatre opened on 9th September 1928 with the silent film “Lonesome Ladiesâ€￾. It was designed by the firm of Blackmore & Sykes and was built by Messrs. Greenwood and Sons. It was run by Hull Picture Playhouse Ltd.

This was a lavish suburban cinema, with an elaborate green and gold sliding dome utilising Venetian glass and housing hundreds of concealled lights. Roman marble mosaics and painted plaster panels on the walls added to the sense of occasion engendered by a trip to the flicks. A Fitton & Haley organ was installed, but this was later removed to the more central Cecil Theatre and was destroyed when that theatre was bombed during WW II.

The cinema had two entrances, one in each of the two towers on the front corners of the building. Above the proscenium was the inscription (rather inapt given how soon “talkiesâ€￾ arrived) “A Picture is a poem without wordsâ€￾. There was a single balcony and, for its date, a surprisingly large car park.

It continued unaltered (save for minor war damage) until its closure in April 1967, after which it was simply converted to bingo usage which continued as a Mecca Bingo Club until 2008.

There are several dead seaguls inside aswell as a kitten :(

DPP_0060_zps5e52612f.jpg


DPP_0002_zpsd2300083.jpg
DPP_0005_zpse237e559.jpg


DPP_0006_zps1484af48.jpg


DPP_0009_zpsecae62ae.jpg


DPP_0026_zpsdcca89a6.jpg


DPP_0057_zps9189ae06.jpg


DPP_0044_zps38d5f595.jpg


DPP_0040_zps3ca6b061.jpg


DPP_0031_zps17bd60b8.jpg


DPP_0041_zpsd7158b95.jpg


Thanks for looking :thumb
 

Similar threads