real time web analytics
Report - - Carlton Theatre - Hull - Nov 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carlton Theatre - Hull - Nov 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
yoyoyo! whats going down kids? feels like its been ages since i fired up a report, feels like ages since id done any exploring until this last weekend to be honest, was buzzing when the fellas invited me along for the ride up north, been a boring few weeks tending to certain needs, didn't take me long long to get bored stupid of staying in doing the whole "netflix and chill" thing the kids are calling it these days.

The explore.
visited with @The_Raw @Maniac @elliot5200,and was mad little 24 hs of next to no sleep and exploring, you know how it goes :) the carlton was the second place i tagged along with those filthy southern gents for, literally in elliots case who had had an unfortunate slip in some unfortunate fresh the previous night :P. We pulled up and it was absolutely pissing down, a quick scout of the access turfed up a decision to pop back after a pint due to some lads unloading a PA system for the phoenix nights-esque club next door. Post pint we headed back up the road and were straight in without a hitch. Its pretty well trashed in there now, which i don't mind sometimes to be honest, can make for some interesting shots-also meant i didn't have any moral objection to booting an old football i found about in there :P i really like the big buggered window upstairs with all the broken lamp shades hanging about the place, found that quite a photogenic place even with its trashness, if id had more battery i would have gone for a couple more angles, have to say RAWs shot of that window with the fisheye may just have convinced me to buy a fisheye! Yeah the battery situation on my camera was not good, 1/2 a battery and still potentially 3 more locations (including the main reason for the trip) had we popped by sheff on the way home the next day. This is why there is only a few pics and a couple of phone snaps i'm afraid, there's enough pics out there already on the place i'm sure. so yeah all in i enjoyed the carlton, would have liked more battery on my bloody camera but hey ho.

Opened on 9th September 1928 with the silent film “Lonesome Ladies”. The Carlton Picture Theatre in Anlaby Road was designed by the firm of Blackmore & Sykes and was built by Messrs. Greenwood and Sons. It was run by Hull Picture Playhouse Ltd.

This was a lavish suburban cinema, with an elaborate green and gold sliding dome utilising Venetian glass and housing hundreds of concealled lights. Roman marble mosaics and painted plaster panels on the walls added to the sense of occasion engendered by a trip to the flicks. A Fitton & Haley organ was installed, but this was later removed to the more central Cecil Theatre and was destroyed when that theatre was bombed during WW II.

The cinema had two entrances, one in each of the two towers on the front corners of the building. Above the proscenium was the inscription (rather inapt given how soon “talkies” arrived) “A Picture is a poem without words”. There was a single balcony and, for its date, a surprisingly large car park.

It continued unaltered (save for minor war damage) until its closure in April 1967, after which it was simply converted to bingo usage which continued as a Mecca Bingo Club until 2008.

phone snaps

22846714934_3d5a76c854_b.jpg

22846722434_4634e2344d_b.jpg

cam paps

23179281870_2526751b50_b.jpg

23448942696_f9af290a01_b.jpg

23179363250_7a143a6677_b.jpg

22847928693_2e9077550f_b.jpg

23475169765_f251f5e031_b.jpg

sorry its a bit unthorough, really need to keep on top of my batteries a bit better! thanks for looking kids