real time web analytics
Report - - Carmelite Monastery, West Derby, Liverpool - April 2017. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carmelite Monastery, West Derby, Liverpool - April 2017.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pgrizzle

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, Ive been lurking around these forums for a long time and have quite a fascination with it. I did have a username previously but managed to forget the log in! Anyway, I saw that there was a lead on this place a while ago and I had the chance to enter today, so thought I would have a little mooch and put some pictures onto here. The site is currently being stripped out and refurbished into a hospice for Claires House charity, and this is how I got to enter, so was a visit with permission. Because it is undergoing the refurb, some original character may have been lost, but I had a wander on different levels that has been pretty much untouched since the nuns have left.

The monastery had been built around 100 years ago and housed around 30 nuns, who moved out of the site around 3 years ago due to noise around the area. There is not much information to be found online, but this article may shed some light. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/nuns-quit-west-derby-monastery-3426233 (You can see one of the chapels in the article that I have pictured).

On to the snaps:

01a036a3.jpg

The entrance to the building.

02aa34c7.jpg

The building itself within the grounds.

03a1dbe2.jpg

Building from another angle.

04a472ea.jpg

The main entrance inside.

06a2a840.jpg

Fireplace and picture in one of the nuns rooms.

07a36a71.jpg

Another old fireplace in another room.

08a2a53f.jpg

Corridor. Painted religious phrases lined the walls.

09a418ae.jpg

One of said religious phrases.

10a1fa07.jpg

Old lift.

11ab640e.jpg

Another wing corridor.

13a56f7a.jpg

Old window looking out to the monastery gardens.

14a606e3.jpg

Out of the window overlooking the courtyard, overgrown with a cross in the centre.

15a7eb9a.jpg

Main stairway.

16a41201.jpg

Post it.

17a1373b.jpg

In the shower/bathroom...

19af8f25.jpg

Intercom.

18a3e94c.jpg

The third floor was a really bizarre space that the nuns stayed that had wooden walled rooms built in for them to stay. The rooms were tiny and I have no idea how anyone could stay in there. All rooms in the entire place had "jesus" painted above the door.

20aea0d0.jpg

If someone could enlighten me into what this is?

21a4833b.jpg

Organ in one of the rooms off the main chapel.

23ac7596.jpg

Ceiling in another one of the rooms off the main chapel.

24a81c6a.jpg

Books.

22a0de5c.jpg

The smallest chapel (the one that can be seen in the news article earlier in the report)

25a110b1.jpg

The main chapel that was open to the public at the time. I wish I could have got a better picture as this was a stunning room.

26aa2f8e.jpg

Stained glass window in more detail.

I apologise for the quality of the pictures as I didnt intend to go to the site for this purpose so I only had a camera phone. Hope this is ok for my first report!

Cheers.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Great first report and a decent set of shots, especially with a phone. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Contraption looks a bit like a printing press maybe? Looks a good place. Sure there will be plenty of visits now.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I had a look at this a couple of years ago and it's was locked as tight as a the nun's muffs that lived there. Then i forgot all about it - nice to see inside at last.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Some crisp shots there, especially for a phone.

Edit /\ beat me too it!

pgrizzle

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks guys. Appreciate you looking. Guess I should have enquired what they were doing with that press? Haha! Seemed they were clearing out in the renovation, will sadly probably go to tip. They had a piano I had my eye on!