real time web analytics
Report - - Carrock and Old Man Mines, Cumbria, June '12. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carrock and Old Man Mines, Cumbria, June '12.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raptor Jesus

GDMEODC
28DL Full Member
University is a bastard thing: you sign up fresh faced and ready to drink perilously til you're awarded your degree in Applied Hipsterology but are totally unprepared for the demand on your time.

Minus the hipster, decent complexion and unpreparedness and you have a picture of my own university experience thus far, although they still managed to cut my time down such that what was going to be five days of mining merriment steadily became three, then two, then one-and-a-bit.

Nevertheless, The Grand Dukes of the Most Esteemed Order of the Divine Cob met up with our affiliates in the dreaded lands of mersehsiiide to make the most of a somewhat limited number of hours in the lakes.

Here are the fruits of our efforts. Please drink responsibly. Visited with Thompski, James, Sim2lew and Xan.

Carrock:

DSC_1191.jpg

DSC_1189.jpg

DSC_1193.jpg

DSC_1195.jpg

DSC_1197.jpg

After a wander around this delight of a mine we mooched around the lakes towards Coniston, our plan for the next day. Having been turned away from circa 5 campsites full of revellers celebrating some OAP german's anniversary of some sort, we decided to fuck the tourists and wild-camped up at the base of the Old Man. I never liked bunting anyway.

The mine (or rather, mines) is/are located on the slopes of the mountain - it took us an hour or two to reach it at a reasonable pace:

DSC_1199.jpg

We investigated a couple of the adits to be found - not a huge deal to see inside the mines but the brilliant weather and enjoyable walk made it worth it. There's a fair bit outside too:

DSC_1231.jpg

Inside:

DSC_1222.jpg

DSC_1225.jpg

Outside again to enjoy the view:

DSC_1234.jpg

Metal as duck:

DSC_1208.jpg

Thanks for stopping by,

RJ.