real time web analytics
Report - - Castmaster, Sheffield. January 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Castmaster, Sheffield. January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MadBeetle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History

Castmaster roll was a Sheffield based manufacturing firm that collapsed into administration with the loss of nearly 80 jobs and owing more than £500,000 to creditors. More than 140 local and national companies were owed money in the wake of the collapse of Castmaster Roll, based at the Eagle Foundry in Attercliffe. The business went into administration in October and as no new buyer could be found, all 78 workers have lost their jobs and the firm’s assets are being sold.

The firm had reported a trading loss for three years in a row before going into administration, including a £400,000 loss for the year ending January 31, 2014. Details included in the papers of administrator KPMG show £502,353 was owed to different companies at the time of administration.

The report said delayed and non-payment of invoices had put the company under ‘significant pressure from its creditors’ in the months prior to administration. A report also reveals that between KPMG’s appointment in October and December 5, it claimed costs of more than £324,000 for handling the administration.

KPMG said it is uncertain how much money – if any – will be returned to unsecured creditors as a sale of assets is yet to be concluded. Administrators have also said they are ‘continuing to assess the causes of the company’s failure’. It comes after Sheffield MP Clive Betts called for a ‘thorough investigation’ into how Castmaster Roll failed. The Sheffield South East MP said staff had told him the company appeared to be in good shape before it went into administration. He said: “I’m calling on the administrators to undertake a thorough investigation into how a company with good order books and more orders coming through the door has sadly managed to get into such difficulties.”

The firm produced iron and steel quality rolls, discs and sleeves for the manufacturing and food processing industry. The Stevenson Road sitebegan making gas lamps more than a century ago and became a roll maker about 95 years ago. It was known as the Davy Roll Company but, after going into receivership, it was reborn as Castmaster Roll in the mid-2000s, taken over by new owner Mel Farrar.

The Explore

Visited here with the usual two non-members that I explore with. One of which had applied for a job here, was invited to an interview and then told not to bother as it had shut down! Access was simple enough.

We were a little disappointed to find that most of it had been stripped, but the cranes were nice to see and climbing about on the walkways etc. was quite fun. The air raid shelter was locked up, but got into the medical centre, still not trashed for a change!

While we were in there we heard footsteps above us, thankfully it was just a group of 7 people exploring! We didn't hang around much longer after bumping into them, they were spraying the fire extinguishers about and making quite a lot of noise and we prefer not to get turfed out...

Anyway, here's the pictures from before we were interrupted!

24520261521_87b6e4ec9b_k.jpg

23974358574_d0ac333fe4_k.jpg

24576350956_379bb78f45_k.jpg

23974356204_b017284324_k.jpg

24576353906_509ed865a0_k.jpg

23975708803_1621deecdf_k.jpg

24602496615_c137b28cb6_k.jpg

24602491595_24146ca325_k.jpg

24520257591_b3eb9ebfb4_k.jpg

24576348986_014444d8ff_k.jpg

24520256501_72d5a03c8f_k.jpg

24306960580_82e167023e_k.jpg

JaneEyre

The clumsiest explorer in Yorkshire!
28DL Full Member
Nice :) Never had a wonder here

Good photos and lovely history xx

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report :thumb Looking a bit more fucked these days though, especially that medical room. Did you manage to get inside the bunker?

That's a rather unconventional way of keeping a door closed... Pitchfork lol.

MadBeetle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers guys :thumb
Shame I messed with all the photos on my phone rather than putting my computer on, didn't realise some are a little out of focus. Can't really tell on a small screen :banghead

Nice report :thumb Looking a bit more fucked these days though, especially that medical room. Did you manage to get inside the bunker?

That's a rather unconventional way of keeping a door closed... Pitchfork lol.

Nope, if its the room to the side of the first aid room then it's padlocked closed. The door with the pitchfork is also padlocked on the outside too haha. Thought it was too good to be true to get outside that easily!

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice....great report and pics :thumb
Must try that place again.....last time the Feds and their K9 buddies cornered us :eek:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Cheers guys :thumb
Shame I messed with all the photos on my phone rather than putting my computer on, didn't realise some are a little out of focus. Can't really tell on a small screen :banghead

Nope, if its the room to the side of the first aid room then it's padlocked closed. The door with the pitchfork is also padlocked on the outside too haha. Thought it was too good to be true to get outside that easily!

Don't worry about it. Your photos are clear enough and it's a good write up. Yeah, it was next to the medical room, near the toilet block and locker room. There wasn't much down there but it was good to see a bunker lol.

That's how the do it in Yorkshire: "get t' pitchfork in there boys! That'll keep the bastards out!"