Web
Analytics
Question - - Cathedral Arch's Flooded? 26th Dec 2015 | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Cathedral Arch's Flooded? 26th Dec 2015

Ordnance

Stay Safe
If this picture of the River Irwell is anything to go by then the Cathedral Arch's will be flooded.

_87384499_manchester_bbc.jpg

Manchester Calatrava Bridge over the Irwell

Anyone thinking of going underground anywhere should look at the local weather condition first. :-) stating the obvious perhaps LoL

Gerard

Professional procrastinator, climber and geek.
28DL Full Member
Get some scuba gear maybe? I'm sure there is a section of the arches linked with a canal so I guess over time it will drain off but I could be wrong.

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
It's certainly getting up a bit right now. The lower floor of the Bijou club (over the road) is flooded.

GIxJqOv.jpg

pzSXTND.jpg

Gerard

Professional procrastinator, climber and geek.
28DL Full Member
Yeah I would certainly say the arches will be a tad on the soggy side for a while. Shame really, I've always wanted to go in there

Ordnance

Stay Safe
It has flooded before but not to this height for a long time, which is why there is silt in one or two of the bays.

Most of the water will drain as the river lowers, but it may take a while for it to dry out.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Been the worst I've seen it around here since I moved here in 1988, spent a few hours unblocking a culvert at lunchtime to prevent some local houses being flooded. First time the river has broken its banks in the area too. Amazing thing nature.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Nick, that picture is truly frightening, but equally fascinating! It's hard to comprehend how powerful just a small amount of water can be when its flat-plating onto a surface. Having surfed some rubber through that bridge, well...blimey.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
How many feet (or metres if you like) is the retaining wall for the Irwell as it passes though Manchester??

Leeds and the River Aire has suffered the same fate, as have several others.

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Been going through some old vids trying to work out various heights and I can honestly say, I'm not sure.

lRrbcWU.jpg

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
somebody got recent Photographs of Irk at Ducie bridge &
Medlock at London road :thumb

thanks

Last edited:

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
I wasn't aware the Irwell went near London Road, I'm guessing you mean the Medlock?