Web
Analytics
Report - - Cefn Glas Tunnel Wales Oct 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cefn Glas Tunnel Wales Oct 2013



Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
#1
Visited with cunningcorgi,

Some history

Cefn Glas Tunnel carried the Taff Vale Extension of the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway which was absorbed into the Great Western’s empire in 1863, a year before the line opened. The route made an end-on connection with the Aberdare Valley Railway at Middle Duffryn Junction; the southern end was at Quakers Yard, named after a local burial ground. The single track route closed on 15th June 1964.

The 703-yard tunnel is straight except for a slight northerly curve close to the western portal. It is amply equipped with refuges and its profile changes at various points. Although mostly dry, the tunnel is not in great condition - towards its centre, sections of its lining have come away. Comprising a brick roof with masonry walls, its patchwork nature suggests that, even during operational times, much repair work was needed.

10498898106_d112b2a11d_c.jpg


10499102503_c5d10d9814_c.jpg


10512791235_b51caa22c5_c.jpg


10512796886_49aed13476_c.jpg


10512998353_671710d510_c.jpg


10512997593_3a31b9cba5_c.jpg


10512997003_860f8af516_c.jpg


10499094093_0634f35271_c.jpg
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Similar threads