real time web analytics
Report - - Celuan Mill, Talybont - May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Celuan Mill, Talybont - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Following on from Leri Mills, it made perfect sense to wander all of 500 yards up the road and visit this mill during my daytrip to West Wales.

Built in 1847 by the Morris family it was the only mill in Talybont to be situated on the bank of the River Celuan. The other 4 all were located along the River Leri. The wheel itself is quite 'different' to those that I've previously seen but also within the building it suggests that the mill was converted to run predominately on electricity in later years.

The mill closed in 1962 around the time of so many others - post war the importing of cotton had increased and in 1959 the UK became a net importer of cotton. It proved to be the nail in this and so many other mills at the time. Some 800 mills closed during the late 1950's - early 1960's.

Attempts to pass the mill onto the National Trust since failed but the mill was Grade II* listed in 1997 and the roof seems to be maintained. Inside its just an absolute time warp of machinery and artefacts from when it closed. It's almost too busy to really focus on where to take shots.

Visited on me own, again. Thanks to jST again for the pointers. Sadly spent the whole day taking photos with +0.67 exposure bias and it really showed up here!

30.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks for looking, some more here Celuan Mill, Talybont | Whatevers Left | UK Urbex

Reactions: Emz

Dan1701

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The water wheel you have there is a Pelton Wheel, which was only invented in the 1870s. It was designed for low flow volume, high pressure water, and is much more efficient than normal water wheels (hence the small size; it didn't need to be big). Somewhere a ways above that mill there will be a header pool and a piped water supply, probably using cast iron pipework. This sort of wheel needs the high pressure, you see; there won't be an input mill leat, though there will be an outfall leat.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, awesome pictures, maybe not long now before the metal fairies turn up though!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I'm not sure there is that much valuable metal in the place to be honest. It also is overlooked by a garage and a couple of houses. Judging by the condition of the roof I'd say someone still maintains the place to a degree

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details