real time web analytics
Report - - Central Library / Town hall extension - Manchester - Feb 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Central Library / Town hall extension - Manchester - Feb 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Central Library / Town hall extension - Manchester - Feb 2012

This is a bit of a late report. I cant remember exactly why I held off posting it but looking back at the photos, it was one of the best all round (excuse the pun) explores that ive done and was the first time in ages id taken enough photos on an outing to make a set. I figured they were worthy of sharing.

vYApt.jpg

Some history..

Designed by architect Vincent Harris, the Central Library was declared open by King George V on 17 July 1934, with the Town Hall Extension following with completion in 1937. The striking rotunda form of the library was inspired by the Pantheon in Rome, fronted by a large two-storey portico which forms the main entrance on St Peter's Square. The design of town hall extension attempts to blend this with the older gothic style of town hall. Both were closed from 2010 for major refurbishment after reports emerged in 2008 that they needed essential renovation to repair and modernise facilities. The library is due to open to the public again in 2014.

X4Xu5.jpg

mdRMl.jpg

hsRjL.jpg
6ACYU.jpg

fncS7.jpg

KP9fy.jpg

pV8x1.jpg

7an6h.jpg

qaJIw.jpg

kcFE2.jpg
VdsBo.jpg

P9Mr8.jpg

wYin9.jpg

5RvSc.jpg

After hanging around the library for a while we moved over to see how town hall was progressing. We worked our way up to check out the roof space before moving outside and finally making it up the pitched lead roof, Great views if not slightly precarious.

yIO4E.jpg
IqWm5.jpg

S2d9O.jpg

PwacO.jpg

Powd9.jpg

YRpub.jpg

HbkEC.jpg

ogeEn.jpg

W4gWE.jpg

8ameo.jpg

T3ha2.jpg

Thanks to those involved. Cheers for looking.

Sho

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details