real time web analytics
Report - - Central Power Station, Bromborough - January 2024 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Central Power Station, Bromborough - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Blimey, old reliable eh? So it seems like the ever-empty plot of land next to this place has had work started on it at last, rendering a traditional entrance to here useless. Luckily we managed to get in regardless, a first time explore here for me as my history with explores is limited. Seems I've found a partner in "crime" at last now, exploring this fond classic with CheesyKennita and with more reports to come in the near future too.

You almost certainly all know the history of this place by now, right? I'll leave this from the Bromborough Power Stations page on Wikipedia for your enjoyment if you're a little rusty though ;)

Central power station was built by Lever Brothers in 1918 to supply electricity for their manufacturing processes at Port Sunlight works. It initially comprised of 3 × coal-fired boilers and 1 × Siemens Brothers 5 MW generating set.
The station was adjacent to the River Mersey which provided water for the condensing plant. In 1929 electricity was installed in the houses of Port Sunlight Village.

In the early 1930 the Central Power Station was expanded with three coal-fired boilers and a 6.25 MW generating set. The station then had a rated capacity of 11.5 MW.

In the 1950s a connection to the National Grid was installed. When local demand was high electricity could be imported from the grid, and conversely could be fed into the grid when local demand was low.

Some of the Unilever manufacturing processes required steam. A 1.3 MW British Thomson-Houston back-pressure generator was installed at the Central Station. This comprised a steam turbine fed with steam at 230 psi (15.9 bar) from the existing boilers. The expanding steam drove an alternator and discharged steam at 50 psi (3.4 bar), which was used in the works processes.

In the 1970s the oldest three boilers were decommissioned and part of the boiler house was demolished. The generating plant was decommissioned in 1998 and most of the site was demolished, the 11 kV control room block was retained until new electricity supplies from the National Grid were installed.

Have a read through this old forum post also if you wish to learn more about the history.

-

Easy access, we had to wander around the industrial estate for a time though as some dude in a truck was having his din dins in plain view of the entrance.

20240112_122511.jpg

What immediately hits me is having seen so many reports dating back to about 2009 on this forum, is how overgrown this place has slowly become. If one goes back to 2009 reports there's almost no foliage at all here and you could actually see the main building clearly from a few hundred yards away. Now you can't even see it from about 15 metres away!

P1011575.jpg

We decided to leave the control room until last and explore the building pictured above first.

P1011601.jpg

First time this particular building was reported on was about 2010, void of graffiti altogether, it is now riddled with it and a little hazardous to boot - I almost slipped in to the exposed subterranean level of this building due to the puddles and slippery floors. Decent amount of old machinery here, it seems to have been mostly left untouched by vandals and the lot.

P1011586.jpg

A lovely sight awaited us in the corner that didn't at all creep us out, (I promise!) this door, now unmovable leads to little more than a stairway and a deep hole at the bottom. Lots of graffiti that gave us a chuckle, we need to grow up.

P1011591.jpg

On to the main event, the control room. Treading carefully across the overgrowth to avoid the small tripping hazards and always staying aware of the chemical plant next door, especially as we spotted workers in hi-vis peering our way at one point.

P1011580.jpg

P1011606.jpg

Truly a local monument to slow decay, not only does the top of the metal stairway no longer exist (a quick shimmy on the handrail was required) but the roof itself has begun to cave in and about a quarter of the control room is now exposed to the elements. I fear the building might not make it to see the wrecking ball (not that there's been much sign of THAT so far in the last 25+ years!)

P1011624.jpg

P1011611.jpg

Lots of signs of kids coming here to have a smoke and a drink (plenty of tinnies, vapes and skins around), so still a popular destination for them. I know people hate it, but I personally love the look of the control desk resplendent with all the colourful graffiti. Yeah I'd prefer it to be untouched, of course, but it does look pretty.

P1011621.jpg

P1011612.jpg

P1011623.jpg

We stuck around a few more minutes, snapping photos and admiring the views both inside and outside the control room. There is of course quite a nice view of Liverpool from the windows of the northernmost walls.

P1011615.jpg

P1011618.jpg

CheesyKennita poses for the camera.
Eventually we moved on to one last building, Cheesy wanting to climb the water tower first and confirm that there was indeed nothing of interest to see in there (he was right).
We found some interesting artifacts in the last building, it was laid out very similarly to the "his lair" portion of the first building.

P1011635.jpg

P1011634.jpg

Satisfied, we left the same way we came in, a car from the neighboring chemical plant slowing down to get a good look at us as we emerged from our overgrown explore. Nowt to worry about though, they drove off and so too did we shortly after.
This was quite special for me as I've not done near enough the amount of exploring over the years that I would like to and this is a place I've always wanted to come to. I'm glad I finally got to cross it off the list, even in this greatly deteriorated and vandalized state. It makes me wonder how many more years of explores the old girl can handle?

Hope you enjoyed this report on an old classic, I've got a less-explored and bigger explore to report next so keep an eye open for that :)

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
What a shame about all the graff, that would of been a pretty nice building without it & the best photoshop user in the world would have a hell of a job removing that lot. lol

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Man, this place is looking a bit rough round the edges but good on you getting it done.

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What a shame about all the graff, that would of been a pretty nice building without it & the best photoshop user in the world would have a hell of a job removing that lot. lol

It's a shame yeah, comes with the territory of it being such a well-known site in and out of the urbex community though I guess, and for so long too.

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Man, this place is looking a bit rough round the edges but good on you getting it done.

It's a little on the battered side isn't it? I'm glad to have been though regardless, the very idea of going here was what sparked me and my mate going on explores in the first place. Plus as long as its explorable still it's good to get reports still, nothing like a catch up with an old friend, eh?

Who has read this thread (Total: 146) View details