real time web analytics
Report - - Central Termica Power Station - Alcudia, Mallorca - April 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Central Termica Power Station - Alcudia, Mallorca - April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Central Termica Power Station - Alcudia, Mallorca

1-23_zps59353ce4.jpg

History

The Central Termica Power Station (the old Alcúdia Power Station) near the port of Alcúdia was Mallorca’s main power station from the Sixties to the late Nineties when it was replaced by another plant, called Es Murterar, also in the area of Alcúdia , near the lagoon. This coal-fired power station is one of the most important examples of industrial architecture for this area. Inaugurated by general Franco in 1957 and built according to a design by the Spanish architect Molezun. It was not located by the sea because of the views, but because the coal shipments arrived by sea. This site has an area of 53000 m2.

For more than 10 years the power station and its surroundings are abandoned and slowly falling into decay. The two tall and impressive chimneys rise above the bay and have become a common reference to the landscape of the bay.

Currently, there are four thermal power plants on Mallorca, Es Murterar, Son Reus, Cas Tresorer and Son Molinos. Since 2011, there is also a connection to the mainland by under-water cable.

My Visit

A family holiday to Mallorca so a quick search came up with this location for an explore, that’s if I could managed to wangle some free time! Things weren’t looking good, even though I could see the twin chimneys every day like a proverbial pair of fingers sticking in the air at me, the opportunity to escape for a couple of hours were now looking bleak.

We had managed 2 days of rock climbing and 3 days of walking and scrambling, all the time the chimneys lurked somewhere within view. I’d mentioned a few times that I’d fancy heading there if I could. The wife and kids were still keen on full days on the hills, I was as well as that’s why we had gone there. Even after a total epic day, balancing precariously on a knife edge ridge with a shear 300 meter drop into the sea. It had started well, but soon realized we should have brought a rope for the kids as 1 slip on the steep limestone cliffs wouldn’t bear thinking about. It became apparent that what we thought was the most difficult section at the start wasn’t, a vertical descent of 50 meter near the end of the ridge was, fine for the adults, but not for the kids! Stuck on a knife edge ridge 300 meters above the sea without an easy way off is the first time in over 30 years of mountaineering and climbing I started to think about calling the Mountain Rescue out, the day was drawing to a close and a safe way off was not appearing. After much scrambling up and down rock faces, often retracing the route we’d just taken we managed to link a series of ledges together and bail from the ridge. Many ice creams for the kids and beers for us followed, my though was I may have finally tired the kids out enough so they could chill at the pool the following day. Alas they soon came round and we spent the next day climbing (with ropes) on sun drenched rock overlooking the Port of Alcúdia and the 2 power station chimneys waving at me, a post climb beer in the harbor got me within 300 meters of them, this was the closest I thought I’d get.

The following morning the decision was made to have a relaxing day by the pool and I got my pass to head out, I was gone even before the kids even hit the pool on the promise that I’d join them on my return. Getting into the site took a lot longer than I had thought, security and passing port and police vehicles kept me on my toes, plus they have made a very good job at securing the site. Scratched and cut by thorns and barbed wire it had reached a point that I had to bail to get to the Villa for an agreed time, I had also forgotten my water in the rush to get out, I decided on one last try in the only section of the perimeter fence I had not been to, it paid off and I was smiling to myself as I entered the power station.

19-4_zps2eeb144b.jpg

I headed straight to the main building as from the little research I’d done this looked to be the part not to miss. I was not disappointed, just wish I had more time to have a proper look around once I got in. The main turbine hall was vast.

2-23_zps6dbb2f96.jpg

3-23_zpsc7dd3cf2.jpg

4-23_zps25dc5d48.jpg

Side rooms hosted arrays of control panels, this was what I’d come to see.

5-23_zpse8ca0802.jpg

6-23_zps197c36a3.jpg

7-23_zps8f3d07ba.jpg

The center of the main turbine hall was divided by an open void.

8-23_zpsd9a5267e.jpg

9-22_zps1ab56404.jpg

10-21_zps92a02261.jpg

Time to head back into the adjoining rooms in search of the main control room, it wasn’t the room I found.

11-19_zps0dc105f9.jpg

But did find it shortly afterwards, this was turning out to be a great holiday stroll.

12-18_zpsc9f9a7d5.jpg

13-13_zps46411c26.jpg

14-14_zpscc91a5c1.jpg

15-11_zps6786a41d.jpg

Time now was getting short, but decided I should at least try to get on the roof. From here there were some stunning views, but the Port is still in use and was fairly active as it was obviously before siesta time, I didn’t spend that much time up here as I didn’t want to be spotted.

16-10_zps286e747c.jpg

Time to head down and have a quick look at the lower floors, this area is fairly dark and full of various bits of plant, machinery and pipe work, if I missed any more interesting areas it would have been down here, time was pressing and I didn’t want to outstay my welcome either from the local authorities or worse still by overextending my pass out.

17-8_zps2b327ee3.jpg

18-7_zps10952221.jpg

The time to bail had come, there were still lots of outbuildings which I could have popped in, but decided just to venture past an old digger for another external shot.

19a_zpse828118a.jpg

As I promised I made it back in time and jumped in the pool with the kids for the afternoon and a couple of cool beers, a cracking day all in all.

20-3_zps411e9a7b.jpg

Well that is it, a quality explore and well worth visiting if you end up on the Island.

Cheers

TLR​

Last edited:

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Am here right now. Trying to have a crack also but secca is all over it ...and it looks like there's a few lorries kicking about. ..... I'll keep trying :banghead