real time web analytics
Report - - Centre Point, Central London [September 2015] | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Centre Point, Central London [September 2015]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PatientTheory

Yung explorer
28DL Full Member
INTRODUCTION
Being one of the tallest buildings in London, it was very intimidating to me with the thought of security guards and K-9 being left, right and center due to its high profile. It even seemed impossible to get onto the site alas getting onto the first floor, but realised later much of this ‘stepping-back’ was mainly psychological. But don’t get me wrong, there were construction workers even on a late weekend night, with cranes working on a site directly adjacent to the Centre Point. Who knows, they may be waiting to take out their work frustration on something or someone.

INFORMATION & HISTORY

Being one of London’s first skyscrapers at 385 feet (117 Metres) and 34 floors high, it was designed by George Marsh and constructed by Wimpey Construction from 1963 to 1966. It was orginally only 32 floors high, as its height was already a controversy with the London County Council. It was owned by property tycoon Harry Hyams

The building remained empty from completion, due to Harry Hyams waiting for an offer of £1,250,000 from a single buyer. This lead to constant declining of tenants’ offers of single floors or lower prices, leading to campaigners demanding Edward Heath to take over the building. Eventually Hyams agreed to accept offers of building occupation by floors, but these consultations were delayed. In 1974, Direction Action addressed the fact that many people in London are homeless and living in an increasingly crowded conditions of London. This pressure the Government and locals to allow Centre Point to be Occupied. From 1980 to March 2014, ‘Confederation of British Industry’ used the site as their headquarter.

In 1995, the building was given a Grade II listed rating, and won the Concrete Society’s Mature Structures Awards.

uwatmate87951.md.jpg

THE ASCENT
A fairly easy explore unless you go out of breath easily, you’ll be walking on an incline for 33 floors.

IMG_78699c0d7.md.jpg

The first few floors were filled with scaffolding and supporting pillars as well as broken glass and breezeblocks.

IMG_78801fa50.md.jpg

IMG_7881db9c5.md.jpg

A snap of the corridor around the 20th floor.

IMG_78950f730.md.jpg

When nearing the 30th floor, there were decorative painting that lined the wall, spanning all the way to the last floor’s staircase. Quite an experience right before I see the view from the top :)

IMG_79043e473.md.jpg

The highest floor was covered by white plastic sheets in a tent like fashion, so only a small platform protruding the side of the skyscraper was exposed to the view. I had to spend ages adjusting the tripod as the metal grid fencing around the platform masked the city image.

IMG_791235ac8.md.jpg

The shard and Tower Bridge.

IMG_79171388c.md.jpg

IMG_79367408b.md.jpg

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details