real time web analytics
Report - - Ceulan Mill Ceredigion 06-2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ceulan Mill Ceredigion 06-2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ceulan Mill Ceredigion Wales. Host and the Littlest Jellyfish. Now i love mills like a fat kid loves cake and this is a double chocolate fudge cake of a mill and by that i mean an absolute stunner of a explore, stuffed to the brim of fantastic machinery and bits n bobs this is quite possibly one of if not the best mill i have seen. the mill it's self is quite small and set in a beautiful little woodland. myself and the littlest jellyfish were not quite sure what we were going to find as the week before this was one of the worst hit areas in the flood, luckily there was no sign of flooding just the natural decay we have come to love. this has been an epic journey of fantastic explores and i want to thank mr jellyfish for driving and stopping so i could get the sausage and egg barm (bap) it's been an absolute pleasure exploring with you mate and cant wait to hit the road soon.

History via net (speed)​

Ceulan Woollen Mill was one of 5 woollen mills in Tal-y-Bont and was situated on the banks of the river Ceulan (the other 4 were located on the Leri) It was built in 1847 by the Morris family and although the exact date that production/operation actually started is vague it was definitely working in 1860. Due to the success of the mill an extension was added in 1880.
The water wheel is still on the side of the mill, although, it is not in great shape and is barely visible. The iron hub of the wheel is marked J Edgar Dublin and has 12 wooden spokes. The iron rim is marked Ellis Foundry 1891. The wheel was an overshot although the wooden trough carrying the water to the top of the wheel is no longer in situ.
The wheel provided power for the factory and was the first provider of electricity to the houses of Tal-y-Bont which was the first rural village in Cardiganshire/Ceredigion to have any form of electricity. The clergy at Bethel Chapel decided to do away with the oil lamps and discussion was had about carbide lamps being used instead. Mr Morris announced he could provide electricity for the chapel, the houses and the main road. The parish council paid £10.00 per annum for street lighting and houses were charged 5 shillings (25p) for one 60W lamp which then cost a further seven shillings and sixpence for 3 months electricity supply. Mr Morris turned off the power at 10.30pm each night believing that was late enough for folk to be awake!
To meet the increasing demand for electricity a peloton wheel was purchased and placed at the other end of the factory to add to the power generated by the main wheel.

The factory produced cloth and flannel mainly for shirts for farmers and coal miners throughout mid and south Wales but production and profits suffered during the war. Although things picked up after the war ultimately it was unable to compete with the larger factories that were significantly bigger and were using (what was then) modern new machinery which was more efficient. After diversifying and turning part of the mill into a shop to sell the products directly to the public the mill eventually closed in 1962 although it still remains within the same family. A number of years ago the current owner tried to pass the property and machinery to the National Trust for preservation but as the owner was unable to provide some of the funding to restore/repair the mill the National Trust were unable to take the property.

cela.gif
View attachment 453489

View attachment 453490

View attachment 453491 View attachment 453492

View attachment 453493

View attachment 453494 View attachment 453495

View attachment 453496

View attachment 453497 View attachment 453498

View attachment 453499

View attachment 453500

View attachment 453501

View attachment 453502