real time web analytics
Report - - Ceulan Mill, Ceredigion - July 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ceulan Mill, Ceredigion - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Ceulan Mill, Ceredigion

Ceulan Mill was built in 1847 by the Morris family and produced flannel and cloth which was sent to markets across Wales and Great Britain.

The mill was also a significant local employer and later became the first supplier of power to the local village, which was the first in in the county to have electricity. The parish council paid £10.00 per annum for street lighting and houses were charged 5 shillings for one 60W lamp which then cost a further seven shillings and sixpence for 3 months electricity supply.

Mr Morris turned off the power at 10.30pm each night believing that that was quite late enough for anyone to be awake. During the Second World War demand for flannel products fell and despite diversification into new products and the opening of a shop on the first floor, the mill went into decline, finally closing in 1962.

Unfortunately, attempts to donate the property to the National Trust for preservation were unsuccessful as the owner was unable to provide a share of the funding and the mill was abandoned.

When I first walked into this place I was amazed at the amount of machines and general mill-based equipment left behind, I had seen plenty of pictures of the place, but this does not prepare you for actually being there and feeling all the history of the place.

I think I was a bit overwhelmed by the place, it has to be one of the only place I have visited to have so many items left behind and as a result it took me a while to get my head around what to photograph first, but after a while I was engrossed. I think this has to be high up there on my list of favourite explores.

Thanks to the Friendliest marine based-creature (a.k.a The Littlest Jellyfish) for the information on this place - very much appreciated mate :thumb

[1]
IMG_9520.jpg

[2]
IMG_9523.jpg

[3]
IMG_9544.jpg

[4]
IMG_9597.jpg

[5]
IMG_9607.jpg

[6] & [7]
IMG_9609.jpg