real time web analytics
Report - - Chadderton Swimming Baths, Oldham - June 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chadderton Swimming Baths, Oldham - June 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
The public swimming baths at Chadderton, Oldham were opened in 1937. The British freestyle Olympic swimmer, Henry Taylor was a frequent attendant at the baths, following his retirement from competitive swimming. The baths were permanently closed in 2006, following a structural survey which found faults in the concrete roof. The more modern sports centre, adjoining the baths eventually closed in 2010, with the opening of the Chadderton Wellbeing Centre. Due to damage by copper thieves, an application for the demolition of the building in 2011. In May 2019 work began to convert the baths as a training restaurant and business start-up centre.

The explore
Visited with Prettyvacant. We first went to scout the building at night but decided to return the next day, after visiting Lostock power station to have a quick look around at dawn, before the workers began to arrive. I was keen to visit Hartford Mill before it met the fate of many of the great northern cotton mills and so we stopped off here on the way. When we arrived we could see that one of the metal sheets on a door had been unscrewed and half a dozen builders were now inside. As we had come this far we decided to poke our heads in and at least try and get a couple of pictures inside before the building is converted. We got lucky and managed to get ourselves a 15 minute tour of the building but it was sad to hear of the heavy-handed conversion which will include the destruction of the stepped seating around the pool, all of tiled surfaces, and the staircase with the rubble used to fill the pool. Even the roof lights will be blocked off to prevent direct sunlight. Basically all internal features, with the exception of the roof and balconies is due to be swept away, obliterating virtually all evidence that this building was ever a pool. While I'm glad that demolition has been avoided, it seems stupid how a building like this, packed with character and careful detailing is getting scraped to a featureless shell when it had so much more potential. I was gutted that they'd only begun work 6 weeks previously but better late then never I suppose.
We were asked to avoid sharing any photos of the interior until work has been completed which is why I've put this in NP.

_DSC8399 3.jpg

At least for now it still resembles a swimming pool

_DSC8401 3.jpg

Tiling and signage- going

_DSC8406 3.jpg

_DSC8405 3.jpg

Staircase- going

_DSC8409 3.jpg

_DSC8416 3.jpg

_DSC8430 3.jpg

_DSC8426 3.jpg

_DSC8418 3.jpg

_DSC8421 3.jpg

_DSC8424 3.jpg

_DSC8428 3.jpg

_DSC8431 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Good to see what's going on in there, I noticed the construction work last month. At least the building is being put to another use.

Cheers for posting :thumb

xexxa

Xexxa the grey
Banned
What! The tiles are one of the best bits about this place. They may as well just pull it down and stick a Cladded high rise on it. Still, lovely report!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice to see something being reused, but I hope they keep some original features.