real time web analytics
General - - Chalk caves, Dover | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Chalk caves, Dover

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Xplorer-Youtube

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On 16th July 2018, we visited these chalk caves in Dover. This specific set of caves does not appear to have a name, but they look to be large mined sections of the ground that could have been intended to be magazines due to their shape, but were never completed. There are four caves in total, varying in size:
c1.jpeg

Looking to the back of the second cave
c12.jpg
c5.jpeg

Rear of the third cave
c9.jpeg

Small beginning of a secondary tunnel in the third cave
c2.jpeg

Entrance to the second cave
c3.jpeg

Carvings etched into the walls of the cave.
c11.jpeg

Entrance to the fourth cave
Xplorer!.jpg

Light painting using a long exposure to spell Xplorer
c8.jpeg

Rear of the second cave, evidence of frequent or large collapses
c6.jpeg

Lewis perched atop the entrance to the third cave with an old rusty chair
c7.jpeg

Walking into the third cave, towards the rear
c4.jpeg

Closer look at the structure of the wall used to seal off the caves
c10.jpeg

Looking into the front corner of the fourth cave

One-man -and-his-dog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These caves are mentioned in a book Dover's caves and tunnels by Derek Leach OBE, (an excellent reference book full of maps and information) and are thought to be old chalk pits used by the local lime making business's, but nobody really knows.

Xplorer-Youtube

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These caves are mentioned in a book Dover's caves and tunnels by Derek Leach OBE, (an excellent reference book full of maps and information) and are thought to be old chalk pits used by the local lime making business's, but nobody really knows.
I was actually looking to buy this book just the other day, however I found that nowhere was selling it other than Amazon, and they said it was unavailable. Any tips on how to get my hands on a copy? Also, thanks for the info, always happy to accept new facts or have my own mistakes corrected

One-man -and-his-dog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was actually looking to buy this book just the other day, however I found that nowhere was selling it other than Amazon, and they said it was unavailable. Any tips on how to get my hands on a copy? Also, thanks for the info, always happy to accept new facts or have my own mistakes corrected

One-man -and-his-dog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a hard book to get hold of now, I emailed derek leach the author, he says that the national trust visitors centre on the white cliffs has copies, or he has one copy left that I could pick up (only live a mile or so from him) for the sum of twelve pounds,
I hope this is of help.

Xplorer-Youtube

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a hard book to get hold of now, I emailed derek leach the author, he says that the national trust visitors centre on the white cliffs has copies, or he has one copy left that I could pick up (only live a mile or so from him) for the sum of twelve pounds,
I hope this is of help.
Yeah it is mate, thanks. Hopefully I can pick myself up a copy then.