real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Charing Cross Jubilee Line | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Charing Cross Jubilee Line

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
DSC09431a_zpsa0d64k7m.jpg

A few months ago I was sat in the office "being productive" when I had a look at the work intranet site and saw the banner "Do you want to visit underground London?". Yes was my response and so I got a place on an otherwise sold out tour at a discounted price. Yay for work, for once it's benefited me in a way other than feeding me.

It was very touristy but a good afternoon out and worth it. Tripods weren't allowed but the staff were accommodating as I often held back to get my photos without the 10 other people getting in the way. The tour consisted of 3 parts; the old Charing Cross Jubilee line platforms, a service tunnel and the vent shaft.

History

Originally called The Strand in 1972, the station changed its name to Charing Cross once the Jubilee line was opened in 1979; bridging the Northern and Bakerloo lines under one station.

1999-tube-map_zpspqrry09u.jpg

Although Charing Cross was constructed as the southern terminus of the Jubilee line, plans already existed to continue the line to the east towards Lewisham in south-east London. Due to the regeneration of the docklands towards Canary Warf, the line was changed to go via Westminster and Waterloo. This in turn meant the line bypassed Charing Cross and went directly to Green Park. With the completion of these changes the Jubilee line at Charing Cross was closed in November 1999.

DSC09412_zpssnesd8t7.jpg

Due to it being a rather newish station the platforms are used for various TV shows (Spooks) and films (Skyfall) and as such the station is decorated to display relatively new as well as make believe theatre shows and films.

DSC09445_zpstmq17byz.jpg

DSC09421_zps4pzhdvb2.jpg

DSC09435_zps8kxmmaih.jpg

DSC09437_zpsr5lxjqpo.jpg

DSC09442_zpsjibucvqd.jpg

DSC09423_zpsuiaw95ew.jpg

DSC09454_zps2kpbuxiy.jpg

DSC09447_zpsjc64wakg.jpg

False signs stating that you're on the District Line - this was due to it being used in Skyfall.
DSC09458_zpsdabpqcdk.jpg

The service tunnel was dug by hand then reinforced - it ends in a wall of concrete behind a door though.
DSC09481_zpsr2zxvfb4.jpg

DSC09466_zpsutz8wekg.jpg

DSC09498_zps9crspwjy.jpg

DSC09495_zpslpd0gg4x.jpg

DSC09525_zpsajct6uf2.jpg

DSC09533_zpsvt5iegae.jpg

The former lift shaft is used to provide air to the underground to stop it getting so hot. Apparently you can abseil down the shaft...hint hint.
DSC09534_zpsllumjbzi.jpg

People creeping...
DSC09511_zpszfatbchb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
nice one, very interesting report :thumb

have you got any pictures of that wall of concrete behind a door? all the pictures i've ever seen from that tunnel never show the end of it! is this where the connection to BT deep levels used to be?

The service tunnel was dug by hand then reinforced - it ends in a wall of concrete behind a door though.
DSC09481_zpsr2zxvfb4.jpg

DSC09466_zpsutz8wekg.jpg
The former lift shaft is used to provide air to the underground to stop it getting so hot. Apparently you can abseil down the shaft...hint hint.
DSC09534_zpsllumjbzi.jpg

you don't even have to, it's got steps and ladders all the way to the top :)

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
nice one, very interesting report :thumb

have you got any pictures of that wall of concrete behind a door? all the pictures i've ever seen from that tunnel never show the end of it! is this where the connection to BT deep levels used to be?

I haven't no - I did get one of the door but it was too blurry and therefore got culled. They also didn't open it and show us so I guess they could have been fibbing but I doubt it. I think it backs onto another line.

you don't even have to, it's got steps and ladders all the way to the top :)

Yeah but the people who do things like that are too pro for steps. ;) Plus I don't know whether the stairs go all the way to the top. I was trying to check out the ladders but couldn't see any that far up. But I wear glasses so my sight can't be trusted.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The vent shaft exits to a locked door which unless you fancy round 2 with TFL and a fisting by the BTP I wouldn't bother with

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
The vent shaft exits to a locked door which unless you fancy round 2 with TFL and a fisting by the BTP I wouldn't bother with

Which way, north or south? Either way the result is likely to be the same.

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
I haven't no - I did get one of the door but it was too blurry and therefore got culled. They also didn't open it and show us so I guess they could have been fibbing but I doubt it. I think it backs onto another line.
ltchx_zpszaqm3syj.gif
']
View attachment 643189 [/URL]

hmm, i don't think so... in the plan above it's the s-shaped corridor that ends next to letter "c" in "charing cross station". i remember reading somewhere that the connection to BT tunnels was through the door at the end of it but maybe i mixed up some facts.

there is also another spur corridor branching off jubilee running tunnels just before the disused station, i have never seen any pics from it either. i guess they don't show it on tours as you'd need to walk along live tracks to get to it...