real time web analytics
Report - - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - August 19 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - August 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

Chatterley Whitfield is one of the most important sites in the Potteries: it is one of the most complete former colliery sites in Europe, and has been designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a host of buildings on the site have Listed Building status. In its heyday, Chatterley Whitfield was one of the most productive sites in the country, and indeed, was the first colliery in the country to achieve an annual output of one million tons. This was achieved in 1937 and again in 1939. It is thought that the first extraction of coal in the Chatterley Whitfield area may have occurred in the fourteenth century by the Cistercian monks of Hulton Abbey from the other side of the East Valley; there is evidence to suggest that they mined coal from bell pits in nearby Ridgway. However, the first recorded evidence of mining activity dates from 1750, when a coal merchant from Burslem worked the area.

Chatterley Whitfield ceased production and closed its doors to working miners on 25th March 1977, and the remaining coal seams were worked from Wolstanton colliery.

The following year, the site reopened as the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum, with access to the underground workings via the Winstanley Shaft, and it's peak, it attracted 70,000 visitors a year. However, in May 1986, Wolstanton colliery was closed, leading to fears that the Chatterley Whitfield workings would flood and there would be a build up of gas.

As a result, the National Coal Board invested £1,000,000 in the construction of a simulated “underground experience” in former railway cuttings near to the Institute Winding House. In August 1993, the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum was put into liquidation, and the site returned to the owner of the site’s freehold – Stoke-on-Trent City Council. In November of that year, the site was designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and a number of buildings on the site were listed at Grade II and Grade II*.

From 1994, work began to secure a new future for the site, and in 2000, the Chatterley Whitfield Partnership was formed (an informal arrangement between the City Council, English Heritage, and local MP Joan Walley) to deliver a new strategy for Chatterley Whitfield. In 2002, the site received a major boost through its inclusion within English Partnerships’ National Coalfield Programme.

Explore

I am very aware that @AndyK has an incredibly comprehensive report on this place with a lot of great background history. However, this place was actually quite a challenge for me so I would love to share my photos.

All in all, it took @Esoteric Eric and I around 6 hours to cover almost the entire site. We did not manage the underground nor climbing up for a view from above. But due to this place being hard work in the heat we decided to call it a day. The security have tried absolutely everything to keep people out with sensors, cameras, palisades, fences, razor wire the lot. But alas I made it and afterwards felt a great sense of achievement.

Quite picture heavy but necessary for such a huge site.

67890524_3084360021603962_2591265017919700992_n.jpg

Hesketh Power House & Winding House

IMG_1209-HDR.jpg

IMG_1214-HDR.jpg

IMG_1220-HDR.jpg

IMG_1233-HDR.jpg

Locomotive Shed

IMG_1256-HDR.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1246-HDR.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

The Lamp House & Entrance to the Museum

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

The Fan House

IMG_1272-HDR.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

The Canteen & Bath House

IMG_1285-HDR.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1295-HDR.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1310-HDR.jpg

IMG_1317-HDR.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321-HDR.jpg

Finally the old carts located outside of the fences

IMG_1325.jpg

Sorry for the masses of photos!
Thanks for looking :cool:

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
You've done well to get around all of that in a day! Fantastic report, really well covered and photographed.