real time web analytics
Report - - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018 | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
This is another one of those places that became a bit of a project for @SpiderMonkey and I. There are cameras with sensors all over the site and I've read various reports of people being caught by a rather unfriendly security guy followed by an OTT police response, so in order to cover the site relatively thoroughly we were careful to avoid the security measures. This meant a few different visits were required over the last 8 months to cover various areas, but the persistence paid off and we were able to visit all bits we wanted to. Even after that I'm well aware there are still some areas we didn't see - I haven't climbed any of the headstocks for example, and I have no intention to as they are well documented on this website. I would recommend you take a look at Oxygen Thief's Chatterley Whitfield report too, as it compliments my report very well.

History of Chatterley Whitfield Colliery

Chatterley Whitfield is a disused coal mine on the outskirts of Chell, near Stoke on Trent in Staffordshire. It is one of the most complete former collieries in Europe. As such it has been designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a host of buildings on the site have Listed Building status. In its heyday, Chatterley Whitfield was one of the most productive sites in the country, and in 1937 was the first colliery to produce over one million tons of coal in a year.

Chatterley Whitfield, is situated on the North Staffordshire Coalfield, where evidence suggests coal was first extracted in the fourteenth century, and the first records of mining activity date from the 1750s. By the 1800s a colliery had started to develop with a number of shafts being sank. A great deal of expansion took place during the 1850s and 1860s.

The colliery suffered badly during the recession of the late 1920s and early 1930s, but as the economy recovered in the years leading up to the Second World War, over £300,000 was invested in new plant, workshops and railway equipment, leading to record-breaking years in 1937-9. In the aftermath of the Second World War, the coal industry was nationalised, and the colliery saw significant modernisation.

In 1974 it was decided that Whitfield coal could be more easily worked from Wolstanton Colliery and an underground roadway was driven to join the two pits. Chatterley Whitfield ceased production on 25th March 1977.

chatterley-whitfield-drone-2.jpg

The Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum

In 1979 the site re-opened as the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum, with access to the underground workings via the Winstanley Shaft. Many of the surface buildings were renovated and machinery was restored in its original working condition to show in great realism the life and working conditions of local miners. At it's peak, it attracted 70,000 visitors a year.

In May 1986, the nearby Wolstanton colliery was closed, from where water was pumped out of the workings. This lead to fears that the underground mining experience at Chatterley Whitfield would flood and there would be a build up of gas. A new experience was constructed using shallow workings and a railway cutting. This enabled underground tours to continue until the museum was put into liquidation in 1993 and subsequently closed on 9th August that year.

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-4.jpg

Hesketh, Platt and Institute headstocks (mobile shot)

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-1.jpg

Platt and Institute headstocks, along with the main boiler house chimney

chatterley-whitfield-drone-3.jpg

Hesketh headgear, winding house and power house

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-2.jpg

Winstanley heapstead

Hesketh Power House

Operational from 1914, the Hesketh power house contained compressor pumps and electrical generating equipment. Air was pushed into compressed air receivers to maintain pressure before being pumped down the pit where it would be used to power the machinery such as coal cutters, boring engines, jigger picks and conveyors.

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-15.jpg

Walker Horizontal Reciprocating Steam Compressor Engine (relocated from Sutton Manor Colliery)

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-17.jpg

Rear of the Walker compressor

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-18.jpg

Reciprocating steam engines such as these were the primary source of electricity during the Victorian times

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-3.jpg

A pair of British Thomson-Houston synchronous induction motors with an Alley air compressor in the centre

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-4.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-10.jpg

Belliss & Morcom Vertical Cylinder Compressor, driven by the induction motors

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-12.jpg

One of the British Thomson-Houston synchronous induction motors

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-5.jpg

Makers plate on the compressor

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-13.jpg

Air compressor built by Alley & MacLellan of Glasgow

Hesketh Winding House

Adjoined to the power house, the Hesketh winding house contains a 500 horsepower steam winding engine, made by Worsley Mesnes lromnakers, Wigan in 1914.

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-3.jpg

From left to right: The Hesketh headstock, winding house and power house

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-2.jpg

The Worsley Mesnes steam powered winding engine

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-1.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-21.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-24.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-20.jpg

Steam winder with the banksman's position to the right

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-28.jpg

Banksman's chair

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-22.jpg

Shaft signal indicator

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-31.jpg

Down in the basement we find a few other interesting bits...

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-34.jpg

The stables for the pit horses were located on the ground floor of the winding house

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-33.jpg

A stash of old control panels

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-32.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-39.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-40.jpg

This old rail-mounted transformer was tucked away in the darkness

chatterley-whitfield-power-house-35.jpg

Underside of the winder

Continued...

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Locomotive Shed and Workshops

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-12.jpg

Exterior of the Locomotive Shed

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-3.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-1.jpg

Wagons in the locomotive shed

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-2.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-4.jpg

The workshops were still fully equipped

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-5.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-6.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-8-9.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-engine-shed-11.jpg

Pit Head Baths

Pithead baths also housed the medical centre and was built 1936-37 in a Modernist style by the Miners' Welfare Committee

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-1.jpg

Stairs and drinking fountains in the entrance

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-3.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-4.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-5.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-6.jpg

Shower cubicles

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-7.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-8.jpg

The locker areas are said to have each contained 3,817 lockers

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-10.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-bath-house-11.jpg

Canteen

chatterley-whitfield-canteen-2.jpg

There's a giant hat hardon hard-hat in the canteen!

chatterley-whitfield-canteen-3.jpg

The canteen was extended with a 'feeding centre' circa 1950

chatterley-whitfield-murals.jpg

Murals above the serving counter

Main Boiler House

A bank of 10 Lancashire boilers were erected in 1937 to supply steam for the winding engines, pithead baths, canteen, compressors and to heat the offices. In 1992/93 when the liquidators moved in the boilers were sold off for scrap. The roof was removed, but before the boilers were scrapped they were saved, however the roof was not replaced which has had a big effect of the derelict state they are now in.

chatterley-whitfield-boilers-1.jpg

Three of the Lancashire boilers

chatterley-whitfield-boilers-2.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-boilers-3.jpg

This whole building has become an absolute deathtrap!

chatterley-whitfield-boilers-4.jpg

Walker Fan House and Drift

Situated between the Institute and Platt shafts the fan extracted some 43,000 cubic metres of air per minute, which entered the mine via the Hesketh and Winstanley shafts and exited through the Evasee up the Platt and Institute shafts.

chatterley-whitfield-fan-house-1.jpg

AEI Fan Motor

chatterley-whitfield-fan-house-2.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-fan-house-3.jpg
Top of the fan drift

Continued...

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Institute Winding House
The Institute Winding House was installed in 1966 and was fitted with a single 270 horsepower electric drum winder. The system had one cage functioning as an upcast.

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-1.jpg

Window control cabin

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-2.jpg

General view of the winding house

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-3.jpg

The winding drum

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-4.jpg

"Code of Shaft Signals" signage dated 1967​

Lamp House

The lamp house was added in 1922, after the older lamp house was deemed too small owing to an increase in manpower and the introduction of electric lamps.

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-1.jpg

General view of the lamp house

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-4.jpg

The few remaining lamp charging stations

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-3.jpg

Lamps and battery packs

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-10.jpg

Old sign and decaying rooms in the lamp house

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-5.jpg

Part of the lamp house had been converted into the ticket office when the colliery was a museum

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-8.jpg

Inside the museum shop

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-9.jpg

Poster on the shop counter

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-6.jpg

Map of the mine workings

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-7.jpg

This mural was at the start of the museum tour as part of an exhibition explaining "how coal was formed". I'm not sure why they used images of how coal was used to illustrate it!​

And a couple more to finish off with.......

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-5.jpg

Chatterley Whitfield Wagons with the colliery behind

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-6.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Hesketh power house, Hesketh Headgear, Platt winding house and Headgear, Institute Headgear and winding house, chimney, boiler house, Lamp House, Locomotive shed, and the Walker fan drift in the centre.​

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely. Was wondering about this place after it featured on one of the hidden Britain by drone episodes.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
wow that's an impressive report, good to see somewhere covered so well. Definitely looks worth the persistence! :thumb

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Jesus well done on getting that done not seen this in a long time it’s decaying nicely now. Would love another visit myself at some point. I was luckily enough to do all 4 headstocks. First rate report.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely covered, can't fault this report one bit.

It's an amazing place. Hopefully something eventually becomes of much more of the site, rather than 95% of it sitting rotting away for another few decades.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Nicely covered, can't fault this report one bit.

It's an amazing place. Hopefully something eventually becomes of much more of the site, rather than 95% of it sitting rotting away for another few decades.

I hope so, but I fear much is now beyond repair. Even the Friends group, who seem to be a pretty good organisation for a volunteer outfit, have said the best they can hope for is to maybe save one building.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I hope so, but I fear much is now beyond repair. Even the Friends group, who seem to be a pretty good organisation for a volunteer outfit, have said the best they can hope for is to maybe save one building.

The Friends group are great, and the work that they have been doing is invaluable in terms of at least managing to save a good chunk of the remaining artefacts and documents that weren't sold off wholesale by the liquidators.

It's one of those situations where it is still physically possible to restore it, but it would take an absolutely monumental sum of money that is obviously beyond the reach of the council and not something that most private individuals would bother getting involved in. Being a Scheduled Ancient Monument, I'm not sure what protections this gives the site and buildings.

Hopefully the place doesn't come crumbling down too soon, be sad to see it go having being quite a memorable sight for my whole life! :gay

Who has read this thread (Total: 700) View details