real time web analytics
Report - - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Missed this while I was away in Asia. This is basically as good as it gets. Absolutely top-notch report and pix of an amazing place.

Toptrucker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Omg very impressive
Looks awesome very good pictures I would love to get into there sounds secure,
Thanks for sharing.

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
This is ridiculously good. I spent a lot of time there some years back, but had nothing like your dedication to report it properly :thumb

Paulxsplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Couple of photos in this fantastic report helped get around d the site unseen. Revisit definitely on the cards...:thumb

Kendog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top report, great detail, best I’ve seen, you did really well to view the places you did, respect.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
The Underground Experience

During my visits to Chatterley Whitfield I had wondered about the underground experience, but heard it had been demolished. I found where it used to be and saw it had indeed gone. However it has recently turned out that a small section still remains in the old air drifts and shallow workings, and only the section in the railway cutting has actually been demolished. It looked good too, so I headed down there to take a look myself.

The underground experience had been built at a shallow level as a replacement for the original underground tours which took place in deep level workings. Unfortunately those areas were flooded after the pumps that drained it were turned off following the closure of Wolstanton Colliery where the pumps were located.

I felt the underground section was worth of its own report which can be seen here, with more images and history -
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/chatterley-whitfield-underground-experience-july-2019.119313/

Below is an overview of the underground section for completeness within this report.

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-3.jpg

Entrance to the Platt shaft - visitors entered via the lift in this shaft for an authentic experience

tterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-11.jpg

Wagons leading to the Institute shaft

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-1.jpg

tterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-13.jpg

View up the Institute shaft above the cages

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-7.jpg

Cutting machine at the coal face

tterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-15.jpg

tterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-18.jpg

One of the original shallow workings with a genuine coal seam at the end

tterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-19.jpg

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-8.jpg

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-6.jpg

View down the conveyor, with posters promoting jobs in the coal industry

atterley-whitfield-underground-mining-experience-5.jpg

Check out my main Underground Experience report for more images

During my recent visit I also looked at a few other areas of the site that I hadn't previously seen...
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/chatterley-whitfield-underground-experience-july-2019.119313/

Hesketh Headstock and Tub Hall

Work began on the Hesketh in 1914. It became operational in 1917 and during its life 24 million tons of coal was extracted. The last coal coming up the shaft in 1976. The shaft was 1900 feet deep and when coal was being hauled up and down the shaft it took 46 seconds, but this was slowed to 70 seconds when taking men up or down the shaft.

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-1.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-2.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-8.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-9.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-3.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-5.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-6.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-hesketh-headstock-7.jpg

Platt Fan House

The Platt fan house was constructed in the south-eastern part of the colliery circa 1930 to house a steam-driven fan. It is unclear whether it remained in operation following the construction of the Institute or Walker fan house immediately to the west circa 1958, but by the late C20 the building was used mostly for storage.

chatterley-whitfield-old-fan-house-1.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-old-fan-house-2.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-old-fan-house-3.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-old-fan-house-4.jpg

chatterley-whitfield-old-fan-house-5.jpg

This is where the fan itself was once located​

geoffowen

28DL Member
28DL Member
I hope so, but I fear much is now beyond repair. Even the Friends group, who seem to be a pretty good organisation for a volunteer outfit, have said the best they can hope for is to maybe save one building.
I want to save - the whole lot!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very impressive, absolutely stunning report, top notch stuff. Really liked this, had to look at it twice lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
How did I miss this, wow just wow. Love your reports, cracking stuff. Lots of my favorite things to photograph too. Fantastic photos, ranges, lighting, up & downs, loved it. Just realized I didn't miss it, I've read it 3 times now pmsl

Who has read this thread (Total: 699) View details