real time web analytics
Report - - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 5 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chatterley Whitfield Colliery / Mining Museum - 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DCMadx

28DL Member
28DL Member
Is there a more detailed pic of the Walker Horizontal Reciprocating Steam Compressor Engine? My Grandad Bruce restored it and there was a rememberance plaque put up on the side of it for him. Would love a detailed photo of it. In fact I’d love to get in there and see it with my kids, but I’m slowly losing hope that the building will be reopened. Sad to see it rushing away like that after they did such an amazing job of the restoration. Last time I saw it I was 9. I’m now 35!

Paulxsplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is there a more detailed pic of the Walker Horizontal Reciprocating Steam Compressor Engine? My Grandad Bruce restored it and there was a rememberance plaque put up on the side of it for him. Would love a detailed photo of it. In fact I’d love to get in there and see it with my kids, but I’m slowly losing hope that the building will be reopened. Sad to see it rushing away like that after they did such an amazing job of the restoration. Last time I saw it I was 9. I’m now 35!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Again an example of how we help, and remember for others. I did a report and the photos used at a funeral. Well done for posting that plague :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
No probs... What report photos was used at a funeral..

An old farm, with a house dated 1800s built completely of wood. The farm had a pretty nice garden, pond, well etc. The pmer said they had looked for photos of the place and could she use them. Another poster said her grandad also worked there and they wanted to show him, as he would love it.

Yvette

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Institute Winding House
The Institute Winding House was installed in 1966 and was fitted with a single 270 horsepower electric drum winder. The system had one cage functioning as an upcast.

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-1.jpg

Window control cabin

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-2.jpg

General view of the winding house

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-3.jpg

The winding drum

chatterley-whitfield-institute-winder-4.jpg

"Code of Shaft Signals" signage dated 1967

Lamp House

The lamp house was added in 1922, after the older lamp house was deemed too small owing to an increase in manpower and the introduction of electric lamps.

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-1.jpg

General view of the lamp house

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-4.jpg

The few remaining lamp charging stations

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-3.jpg

Lamps and battery packs

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-10.jpg

Old sign and decaying rooms in the lamp house

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-5.jpg

Part of the lamp house had been converted into the ticket office when the colliery was a museum

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-8.jpg

Inside the museum shop

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-9.jpg

Poster on the shop counter

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-6.jpg

Map of the mine workings

chatterley-whitfield-lamp-house-7.jpg

This mural was at the start of the museum tour as part of an exhibition explaining "how coal was formed". I'm not sure why they used images of how coal was used to illustrate it!

And a couple more to finish off with.......

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-5.jpg

Chatterley Whitfield Wagons with the colliery behind

chatterley-whitfield-exterior-6.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Hesketh power house, Hesketh Headgear, Platt winding house and Headgear, Institute Headgear and winding house, chimney, boiler house, Lamp House, Locomotive shed, and the Walker fan drift in the centre.​

Who has read this thread (Total: 700) View details