real time web analytics
Report - - CHATTERLEY WHITFIELD (UNDERGROUND EXPERIENCE) | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - CHATTERLEY WHITFIELD (UNDERGROUND EXPERIENCE)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Laurenlucy123

Banned
Banned
Chatterley Whitfield is one of my all time favourite explores ever! It has so much history and character. In 1979 the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum opened and it soon gained a reputation of being Britain’s best known mining museum attracting over 70,000 visitors a year. Underground tours were conducted until the nearby pit at Wolstanton closed. My dad actually went to the underground experience when he was in school! Well fortunately me and my friends found our way into the underground experience, and what an amazing experience it was. It was extremely hard to get into as the stairs has collapsed, but it was manageable. The pictures really do speak for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Please have a look at this thread for guidance on general content and how to add the pics to your report next time :thumb

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Been a while since I've seen anything underground here, not to go and have a look but i dont have tube balls for there big spikey fence:p

Laurenlucy123

Banned
Banned
Been a while since I've seen anything underground here, not to go and have a look but i dont have tube balls for there big spikey fence:p
I was told by many people this was blocked up! so glad we got in was great to look around, even though the flooring was extremely dodgy! and you'd be surprised how many holes there in in the fences now lol :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another good choice. Nice photos. Just need a mth & yr in title and your golden :thumb

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
This was man made,dug up. technically not underground but it was made to feel that you are aha

Technically all mines are man made ;)

Also it turn out it was built in a railway cutting.

The first part of the plan was to plug two shafts well below the surface. The thick layer of concrete would prevent gas from rising any higher and it meant that the museum could still use the tops of the shafts – One shaft for visitors to experience the miners cage ride to work and the other shaft to demonstrate coal winding. From the pit bottom area the museum then started on a most unusual project – to build a new mine, using some shallow workings and the railway cutting, which would show the history of mining from 1850 to the present day.

gingerspeedfreak

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Showing my age, but I went on a school trip here back in the 80s. Absolutely fascinating. :D

Nice report and photos.

Who has read this thread (Total: 171) View details