real time web analytics
Report - - Cheadle Royal Hospital, Cheadle, Manchester, September 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cheadle Royal Hospital, Cheadle, Manchester, September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

asimm98

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first ever post..here is a few pictures from an old building which I understand is an old abandoned Lunatic Asylum only about 10 minutes walk from my house. I'll be using the photos as part of my A-level Art course which I have just started (I'm 16) so if anyone is interested then in a few weeks I'll post some of my work involving these photos.

A brief history of the building (yep, from wikipedia):

Cheadle Royal Hospital, originally the Manchester Royal Lunatic Asylum, is a psychiatric hospital situated on Wilmslow Road in Heald Green, Greater Manchester, England. Built between 1848-1849, the main building is Grade II listed and was designed by Richard Lane in the Elizabethan style.

The hospital was founded at Manchester in 1763 when only three other similar institutions existed in England. The original lunatic hospital was built in 1763 next to the Manchester Infirmary in what later became Piccadilly Gardens but in 1849 it was relocated by the trustees to a new site in Cheadle ten miles to the south. The first site at Cheadle was only 37 acres but either by purchase or gift 220 more acres were acquired and additional buildings were built. In 1903 "The North House" was opened and in 1911 a convalescent hospital in Colwyn Bay, north Wales, was opened. In 1928 the hospital had provision for the treatment of 400 private patients.
.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg
5a.jpg
6a.jpg
7a.jpg
8a.jpg
9a.jpg
11a.jpg
12a.jpg
13a.jpg
15a.jpg
16a.jpg
17a.jpg
DSC_0125.JPG
DSC_0126.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0139.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG
DSC_0170.JPG
DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG
DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some interesting shots there, I don't think I have seen this place for quite a while, so cheers for posting :thumb

I have modified the title to the correct name for you, but you will need to modify it again to add the month & year you visited.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers for sharing :thumb

Like a lot of the photos, but have a feeling they are all hand held? Might be worth buying a cheap tripod, or telling me to bog off if I got it wrong :D

asimm98

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers for sharing :thumb

Like a lot of the photos, but have a feeling they are all hand held? Might be worth buying a cheap tripod, or telling me to bog off if I got it wrong :D
You are correct they are hand held :) and I agree that on some of the photos (eg the photos of the broken-through windows) the photos aren't completely straight and a tripod would help with that. The only thing is sometimes if I use my tripod the whole time then sometimes I find it a bit harder to think creatively in terms of camera angles etc. But yeah I will definitely bring my tripod next time!

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Cheadle Royal South House, I'd recommend going there at night for some brown trouser moments with random holes in the floor and a nice collection of bats that like to play games ;)

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
am amazed it's still standing to be fair, I always thought the clock tower was the best part if it's still up that is

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
am amazed it's still standing to be fair, I always thought the clock tower was the best part if it's still up that is

Sure you're not thinking of Barnes Hospital?
Not a bad first report by the way!

explorer62

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
blimey that's still standing !!! Wandered into one room to find quite a substantial amount oi needles.

blitzd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first ever post..here is a few pictures from an old building which I understand is an old abandoned Lunatic Asylum only about 10 minutes walk from my house. I'll be using the photos as part of my A-level Art course which I have just started (I'm 16) so if anyone is interested then in a few weeks I'll post some of my work involving these photos.

A brief history of the building (yep, from wikipedia):

Cheadle Royal Hospital, originally the Manchester Royal Lunatic Asylum, is a psychiatric hospital situated on Wilmslow Road in Heald Green, Greater Manchester, England. Built between 1848-1849, the main building is Grade II listed and was designed by Richard Lane in the Elizabethan style.

The hospital was founded at Manchester in 1763 when only three other similar institutions existed in England. The original lunatic hospital was built in 1763 next to the Manchester Infirmary in what later became Piccadilly Gardens but in 1849 it was relocated by the trustees to a new site in Cheadle ten miles to the south. The first site at Cheadle was only 37 acres but either by purchase or gift 220 more acres were acquired and additional buildings were built. In 1903 "The North House" was opened and in 1911 a convalescent hospital in Colwyn Bay, north Wales, was opened. In 1928 the hospital had provision for the treatment of 400 private patients.
.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg
5a.jpg
6a.jpg
7a.jpg
8a.jpg
9a.jpg
11a.jpg
12a.jpg
13a.jpg
15a.jpg
16a.jpg
17a.jpg
DSC_0125.JPG
DSC_0126.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0139.JPG
DSC_0166.JPG
DSC_0170.JPG
DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG
DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG

i keep meaning to check this place out... its added to my list though!

Louis Allen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is this place still standing today. Can I go and explore it ? As u live 10min away could u check this out for me ...