real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Chellow Heights, BD9 6NU | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Chellow Heights, BD9 6NU

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Toni Petty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m a new member to the page so this is my first time of posting any threads, I came across this and I’m pretty sure you guys will find it of interest (as I’ve searched the site for any mention of it and nothing comes up) it’s also extremely difficult to find any reason of its purpose or for why it was chosen in this odd location, all the same I found it extremely fascinating.
I work as a contractor to Yorkshire Water and have access to places very few eyes will see or know about, this particular find was beneath a very ordinary looking office at a water treatment works, I was in the basement inspecting works when in the corner of my eye noticed a large door open. Naturally I peaked in with my torch and felt for a light switch, lights came on (so still powered) and on entering the blast doors I was faced with another large door, opened it and it was the diesel generator room, although aged it looked in working condition. On entering the bunker to the left there was a full kitchen, cups still in cupboards, few utensils and large water bowser, to the left what looked like an office off some sort with PAT testing records right up to the past few years (so it must still be of use and maintained) directly straight on there were the dormitory with mattresses still in wrapping, this leads me to believe it is more Cold War era rather than world war 2, then at the end of the bunker was an escape tunnel, which I presume lead to a hatch further down. What struck me were two things the clean condition of the bunker and nothing at all on the internet about it, strange to me but interesting all the same, hope you enjoy, I only took a few pics as I really didn’t know if I should have been in there. If anyone has any info or details about this place I’d love to hear them, also any questions I will reply to, thanks.

Attachments

• 38B017BC-0DBA-4F0F-ADC5-196482E4D4EF.jpeg
    38B017BC-0DBA-4F0F-ADC5-196482E4D4EF.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2E461B3C-6EFE-41F4-B0A1-B6CDBA484C09.jpeg
    2E461B3C-6EFE-41F4-B0A1-B6CDBA484C09.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 34EC004A-4CDC-4D15-9B38-8C29086A4FC4.jpeg
    34EC004A-4CDC-4D15-9B38-8C29086A4FC4.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 24
  • 4D3953BE-B105-4CD7-8C01-50B593464F05.jpeg
    4D3953BE-B105-4CD7-8C01-50B593464F05.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 01F64F19-0CED-44CE-A2D6-29FACD4A9EBC.jpeg
    01F64F19-0CED-44CE-A2D6-29FACD4A9EBC.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 8D26F8D8-6699-4137-91BF-A1BB8B536EAE.jpeg
    8D26F8D8-6699-4137-91BF-A1BB8B536EAE.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 23

Toni Petty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m a new member to the page so this is my first time of posting any threads, I came across this and I’m pretty sure you guys will find it of interest (as I’ve searched the site for any mention of it and nothing comes up) it’s also extremely difficult to find any reason of its purpose or for why it was chosen in this odd location, all the same I found it extremely fascinating.
I work as a contractor to Yorkshire Water and have access to places very few eyes will see or know about, this particular find was beneath a very ordinary looking office at a water treatment works, I was in the basement inspecting works when in the corner of my eye noticed a large door open. Naturally I peaked in with my torch and felt for a light switch, lights came on (so still powered) and on entering the blast doors I was faced with another large door, opened it and it was the diesel generator room, although aged it looked in working condition. On entering the bunker to the left there was a full kitchen, cups still in cupboards, few utensils and large water bowser, to the left what looked like an office off some sort with PAT testing records right up to the past few years (so it must still be of use and maintained) directly straight on there were the dormitory with mattresses still in wrapping, this leads me to believe it is more Cold War era rather than world war 2, then at the end of the bunker was an escape tunnel, which I presume lead to a hatch further down. What struck me were two things the clean condition of the bunker and nothing at all on the internet about it, strange to me but interesting all the same, hope you enjoy, I only took a few pics as I really didn’t know if I should have been in there. If anyone has any info or details about this place I’d love to hear them, also any questions I will reply to, thanks.

The escape hatch.

Working shower, maybe decontamination shower.

Kitchen quarters.

Sleeping area, the mattresses were still unopened.

Looks comfy

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would imagine that area was built to house water treatment plant staff who would have been permanently assigned to the plant in the event of a Major incident.

There may or may not have been a direct comms line to a Control center, but it wouldn't matter they'd be working under the instruction of keep everything going for as long as you can .
Just as workers in power stations, telephone exchanges and other key installations would have been and still will be today.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Whilst fairly standard stuff it's great to see somewhere new and of a piece of infrastructure rarely seen. @Snowhead is correct in that it's for the Utility staff on site in case of major nuclear/biological incident. The escape hatch looks slightly more unusual than everything else....most often they don't have a curve and the bottom few feet would be filled with sand.

Thanks for posting and following up with the images.

Last edited:

Toni Petty

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whilst fairly standard stuff it's great to see somewhere new and of a piece of infrastructure rarely seen. @Snowhead is correct in that it's for the Utility staff on siten case of major nuclear/biological incident. The escape hatch looks slightly more unusual than everything else....most often they don't have a curve and the bottom few feet would be filled with sand.

Thanks for posting and following up with the images.
No problem, I also have another report to post which again no one has covered on here at all, i was lucky enough to get into RAF Saxa Vord, it was almost like the MOD had just packed up and left the previous day, costs still hung up and pens on tables, when I get time all put the report up and give it the time and effort it deserves.

Who has read this thread (Total: 261) View details