real time web analytics
Chelsea Barracks- Chelsea, London: 01.03.2008 - | Downfallen | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Chelsea Barracks- Chelsea, London: 01.03.2008 -

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Downfallen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Site:
Chelsea Barracks, Chelsea, London
Explorer:
Downfallen
Height:
15 floors / 140ft ( Highest point)
Currently groundwork/surveying underway prior to demolition and redevelopment.
History:
Chelsea Barracks was a British Army barracks located in the City of Westminster, London, adjacent to Chelsea, on Chelsea Bridge Road.
It was originally built to house two battalions of troops. It was the home of two companies of the Foot Guards: No 7 Company, Coldstream Guards; F Company, Scots Guards, 238 Signal Squadron. The four companies total about 280 troops.
The barracks was also the home of the Regimental Bands of the Irish Guards and the Welsh Guards and to a small Signal Squadron.
On 6 September 2005 Secretary of State for Defence, John Reid, announced that Chelsea Barracks will be sold. He described it as needing extensive renovations. The site is to be vacated by 2008.Troops were moved to The Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich.
(courtesy of Wikipedia)
Future:

In April 2007 Chelsea Barracks in its 12.8 acre site was agreed to be sold by the Ministry of Defence for £959 million to a consortium led by Candy & Candy, the luxury property design firm run by brothers Christian and Nick Candy, and the Qatar government.. The Times reported that "The enclave, between Sloane Square and the river Thames, now has the unofficial title of
Britain’s most expensive residential development site at £70.3m per acre.
On February 1, 2008 the Candy brothers took possession of the site.
(courtesy of Wikipedia)

"Eyes FRONT !! ( and left ...and right.....and behind...)"
Been eyeing up this one for a while.....in fact its just been plain bugging me.
I'd figured out a couple of ways in...both needing quiet streets...
That part was easy...but the other wasnt ( its patrolled by dogs at night ) and that had resulted in a couple of failed attempts.
I had observed behavoirs and patterns....and figured out what needed to be done.....( I love it when a plan comes together !)
Lots of cameras around...and security are pretty damn good ! I dunno what the feel they need to protect though....as the campus is pretty much stripped bare.
Its very much like a mini town in there......shop, social club, gym,swimming pool, dining halls, bars.....aare all there as well as the living quarters and offices....I think it must have been quite a cool place for a squaddie to be serving...
Very little military 'stuff' left there....but plenty of reminders of what it was.

This one was definatley a buzz......it requires observation and knowledge of security there and even with that......my head was constantly on a swivel with the slightest of noises in this 'ghostown'....I dont think I've ever had to be so careful of my movements.....I left physically and mentally exhausted !!

With a little thinking ( note thinking....NOT vandalism)...most areas on campus are available...

Theres quite a few pictures.....I'll break them down into the relevant areas.

***​

The 'High Stuff'
Visited first, of course !...Two accomodation block towers tower over the barracks.
chelseabcks2812ja5.jpg

Up out at 15 floors ...there are some great views of the Barracks campus...as well as some nice views of London and 'familiar ' friends.
chelseabcks2815mi8.jpg

chelseabcks2813rm1.jpg

chelseabcks2819xp7.jpg

chelseabcks2818xp7.jpg

The last resident on the 15th floor...didnt seem to be enjoying the view as much as I did.
chelseabcks2814kp9.jpg

There is a tunnel below the towers ....it didnt join the two towers and unfortunately ended abruptly
chelseabcks2811mz9.jpg

The Chelsea Barracks Military Chapel
Nestled in the heart of the Barracks....a lovely quaint chapel...

chelseabcks2825zm0.jpg

A couple of the memorial plaques still remain...big...ornate and beautiful.
chelseabcks2827ad7.jpg

Central Accomodation Block.
I have to say I found the accomodation rooms particulary uninspiring.....this is the military after all !...
But the communal shithouse....of course !

chelseabcks2823bn5.jpg

chelseabcks2822ng7.jpg

chelseabcks2821tz8.jpg

The Armoury
Couldnt resist a peek in here......rooms with cages and storage facilities for rifles, GPMG's, Morters and Rockets and lots of 'nuclear material' warning signs ( depleted uranium casings maybe ? )
....I reckon this place was 'ultra' secure when it was live....the PIR's here are still active...and the control panel for the door movement sensors are still on too.....whether anyone is listening/watching...is for you to decide !
One of 4 armoury rooms..

chelseabcks283tl3.jpg

chelseabcks284ih3.jpg

chelseabcks282ai2.jpg

chelseabcks281zd9.jpg

Other Barracks Facilities
This place has everything a place with 250 guys needs to run.....here's some highlights
Very nice Gym....

chelseabcks288ri1.jpg

Swimming pool is next door.....still a bit 'o water' left in there if anyone fancies a paddle.
chelseabcks289ai7.jpg

An army marches on its stomach...so appropriately the mess hall is huge
chelseabcks287np8.jpg

Other things....
Key Hall in the site room....( there was also a very comprehensive map of the facility...:thumb )
chelseabcks285oy1.jpg

There was a fully functional medical , dental and physiotherapy hall on the backend of the barracks...now its pretty much bare.
chelseabcks2810zs3.jpg

These guys are around regularly....thankfully for me....not with fido today.
chelseabcks2816ud3.jpg

***​

A tricky explore no doubt....but one that had to be done ;)
chelseabcks2817qh1.jpg

***​

Last edited by a moderator: